• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Management qualifications....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Prince2 you can self study, but I wouldn't recommend it, the book isn't a good read. Doable for Foundation level if you get other resources on top of the expensive (and rather crap) OGC published Prince2 book.

APM while you can self study if you have a lot of time, there are multiple modules and it's more academically involved. You also need exam practice to stand a chance of not totally wasting your exam fees which aren't cheap.

I've taken a quick look at the End2End site and the methodology has obviously been distilled from a blend of Prince2 and APM, but that's hardly a surprise since all PM methodologies have so much in common for obvious reasons.

Commuting to Bradford or Leeds (depending which supermarket HQ you're working at) can't be much fun from South Manchester.
    The commute is not the best - however, I leave at 6am, get there for 7, and leave at 3pm, back home for 4:15-ish, so, not as bad as it seems. Just a case of remembering to get to bed early enough!

So.... Which one to go for? APM or Prince 2? There seems to be a case for both.... In Testing it is ISEB, all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      The commute is not the best - however, I leave at 6am, get there for 7, and leave at 3pm, back home for 4:15-ish, so, not as bad as it seems. Just a case of remembering to get to bed early enough!

So.... Which one to go for? APM or Prince 2? There seems to be a case for both.... In Testing it is ISEB, all the way!
      PRINCE2 is requested more often on Jobserve and more well known in the UK.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Pm

bin using Prince2 for 8 yrs, find it OK
        Come across several companies that use " their own" methodoligies but these invariably end up being an extraction of Prince or MSP
        .....my day will come

Comment

Experience requirement

Worth bearing in mind that you can be awarded PRINCE2 without experience, but the PMP qualification requires practical PM experience, 3 years if you have a degree, about 5 if you don't. You need to have referees etc. More details here.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
            As a permie I may as well make the most of paid courses in company time......

What are thw respected project management ones to go for? Working in QA as part of governance I work closely with PM's, so, seems reasonable to get a qualification in that area....

Heard about ISEB project management Prince II.

We happen to use End2End - is there a recognised qual for this?

Will put me in much better stead for my planned return to the dark side in a couple of years.....
            Is that new speak for gay?
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
            X