• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some industries better nationalised than privatised?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Licence - have a look at it if you like.
    Stealth Tax
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Stealth Tax
      It's not exactly stealthy is it?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I can think of 2, maybe 3:

1. Post Office. Once the envy of the world, hugely reliable. After privatisation, as we all know, rubbish.

2. British Gas as was. Can't remember any problems with this. Not to mention the current blatant profiteering.
        http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2...6-13276715_ITM

3. British Rail. Surely rail travel deteriorated hugely after privatisation?
        Interestingly rail travel in year leading up to privatisation was great. they can do it when they want to.

Comment

Sorry I can't I have not got one. Oh b*gger I've been rumbled.
          anyway where was I ? Ah yes BBC - There great.
          I'm sure that there all a load of loony lefties though !

Comment

Quite right. In my defence I would like draw the courts attention to my over exposure to the Septics, who get their verbs and nouns mixed up far too often, and I beg for mercy.

It is a licence – noun, and to license – verb.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              Because it's a legal requirement.

I don't agree with the TV tax either, but until some Government is willing to change the way the BBc is funded we're stuck with it.

The bloated BBC New Lie propaganda machine should be privatised and made to stand on its own two feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                The bloated BBC New Lie propaganda machine should be privatised and made to stand on its own two feet.
                What a load of bullocks. Did you never notice how much aggro there was between Blair's spin doctors and BBC journalists?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Nationalised ‘industries’ – military, police, inland revenue, central bank. That’s about it.

TV License – I think that it’s cheep i.e. a tenner a month subscription. However, the BBC needs to be cut back. BBC TV 1, Radio 1, 2 should be privatised for starters.
                  Radio 2, like Radio 4, would be ruined by advertising. Both are IMHO among the most civilised of our national institutions. Some of you may feel that they do not understand the meaning of a civilised national institution, or that everything should be run privately even if that ruins it. I beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Radio 2, like Radio 4, would be ruined by advertising. Both are IMHO among the most civilised of our national institutions. Some of you may feel that they do not understand the meaning of a civilised national institution, or that everything should be run privately even if that ruins it. I beg to differ.
                    Actually, I'd be happy to pay for radio 4 (separately) - especially if they would stop advertising their own friggin programmes all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      Stealth Tax
                      I like the fact that the BBC is funded and we don't have to endure advertising on it because of that.

When I started typing this, I was going to raise the question about whether the licence fee was the most efficient method to raise the money from us to pay for it, but thinking about it, paying for the BBC from general taxation would give the government a more worringly high degree of influence then they have at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X