• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

get out of support

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lion taming!
    Already an expert in that, the mrs is an animal in bed

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
      Thanks, i really want to do something more challenging and creative. and networking doesnt tick that box.
      Which one - challenging or creative?

Depends on what kind of networking you're doing, it is certainly challenging and can be creative - though if you been stuck in 1st/2nd line support for 8 years I suspect in your case it could be true that's it's not, and I'm wondering how you only touched 3rd line in all that time ...
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Pimping looks like a growth area as the WI are trying to legalise brothals...

Comment

I'm wondering how you only touched 3rd line in all that time ...
          one of the downfalls of the particular contracts i have taken is that they were very 2nd line specific, current one might offer more opportunity to expand into more 3rd line.

i didnt see networking as creative in the sense that im not using my imagination to create something of asthetic value. but im not saying its not creative at all

Comment

Pimping looks like a growth area as the WI are trying to legalise brothals...
            i might buy a caravan and setup a mobile one in my village that would go down well with the parish council

Comment

i didnt see networking as creative in the sense that im not using my imagination to create something of asthetic value. but im not saying its not creative at all
              Fair enough - if aesthetically creative is what you're after, then I think you want to get out of IT altogether imo. I personally never found programming particularly aesthetically satisfying either.

Or satisfy those needs in another way - I felt the same for a while and did a creative writing course - cue sledging - which filled that need for a while. All I need now is time in my life to actually sit down and write ;-)
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Fair enough - if aesthetically creative is what you're after, then I think you want to get out of IT altogether imo. I personally never found programming particularly aesthetically satisfying either.

Or satisfy those needs in another way - I felt the same for a while and did a creative writing course - cue sledging - which filled that need for a while. All I need now is time in my life to actually sit down and write ;-)
                mmm maybe i should be concentrating more on my plan B and use that as a creative outlet until it pays as much/more than my IT contract..... to be honest i dont really want to stay in IT i plan to get out in about 5yrs and do something that satisfys me more (havent found that job yet!) and i just want to be able to learn another skill to increase my day rate for the meantime.

Comment

problem being you'll need about five years experience in another field (if your looking at development) before you can confidently contract and ask a decent rate.

I don't think there is any shortcut, you need experience of how to do things well and what to do when things go wrong (which they inevitably do - but this is when you learn the most)

I've been in development for 8 years and i'm constantly suprised at how much i still learn and how little i know, its a vast, vast field that rapidly evolves.

Two colleagues of mine have been at it for over 20 years and they still reckon they're learning.

I think we all dream of a successful plan B doing something we love but don't think that many of us are that lucky..

Best of luck!!!

Comment

problem being you'll need about five years experience in another field (if your looking at development) before you can confidently contract and ask a decent rate.

I don't think there is any shortcut, you need experience of how to do things well and what to do when things go wrong (which they inevitably do - but this is when you learn the most)

I've been in development for 8 years and i'm constantly suprised at how much i still learn and how little i know, its a vast, vast field that rapidly evolves.

Two colleagues of mine have been at it for over 20 years and they still reckon they're learning.

I think we all dream of a successful plan B doing something we love but don't think that many of us are that lucky..

Best of luck!!!

yeah i dont think development is for me, thats a career choice not learn something new & a fairly quick rate change.

my plan B has amazing potential and has already started but to reveal what it is would be revealing my name which im not going to do!

Comment

my plan B has amazing potential and has already started but to reveal what it is would be revealing my name which im not going to do!
                      Goldfinger?

Comment

Working...
                      X