• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kids ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    well thats fantastic Ivor, but sometimes you need instant results. If the kid is doing something dangerous, they have to respond to you straight away. If your child is running out into the road without looking, would you really sit back and say , patience Ivor, be patient, count to ten Ivor ?????

The world is a big confusing place for a young child and anyone letting a 2yr old child loose on a busy road needs their head testing. They ALL run out into the road - At that age, they have little concept of danger.

IMO, you either go with the child or react. If you can give the child what it wants (Attention) and direct it to play, then IMO you're doing a good job as a parent. Not only that its rewarding too.
    Bad behaviour in a child is caused when he/she is confused, tired or frustrated.

EO, you go on thinking that you can "control" a 2 year old
    Maybe you should go to a toddler group yourself and see what happens?
    Then again, you probably don't have the time.........

Comment

Originally posted by bobsmithldn View Post
      ... actually, advice on terrible-two's ...

Got a 2 year old boy who's very, very strong-willed, who don't listen. He recently started hitting me! How do I handle him, it's doing my head in ...
      Lucky you, I have a 21 month old and she has been doing that for a month now!

I just tell her in no uncertain terms that she is naughty, and remove her from the room. She usualy comes in 5 minutes later looking sheepish and saying sorry.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
        EO, you go on thinking that you can "control" a 2 year old
        Maybe you should go to a toddler group yourself and see what happens?
        Then again, you probably don't have the time.........
        Cattle-prod or Tazer + a dog lead and collar. Sorted
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
          I just tell her in no uncertain terms that she is naughty, and remove her from the room. She usualy comes in 5 minutes later looking sheepish and saying sorry.
          Fully back that up, except replace no with NO! At age 2 they start to push boundaries and hitting a parent is way out of line. You have about 5 years to get them used to No = No way; not if even if you hit me, you cry, or you use other manipulation techniques.

You might feel like tulip when his bottom lip trembles, but if you give in, you will end up with bigger discipline problems in the long run. He can't learn that he can hit someone without consequences.

Oh, and make sure he hasn't sneaked coloured pencils into the naughty corner, or you might have a spot of redecorating to do next weekend
          Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Working...
          X