• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle Apps Market and Rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of interest, what kind of stuff do tech consultants in Oracle Apps do?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      A bit of SQL I would think !?

Comment

Over to you SallyAnne...

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          A bit of SQL I would think !?
          So would I, but I was hoping for a bit more gen from someone who does this kind of work, so I can (purely out of interest) compare it with an equivalent PeopleSoft techie role

Comment

So would I, but I was hoping for a bit more gen from someone who does this kind of work, so I can (purely out of interest) compare it with an equivalent PeopleSoft techie role
            Developing new/customizing standard professional forms,reports,workflows,discoverer,OAF,ADF..the list is endless

Comment

Originally posted by schindler View Post
              Developing new/customizing standard professional forms,reports,workflows,discoverer,OAF,ADF..the list is endless
              Schindler's list is good.
              Damn, couldn't resist.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

lol

seems to me you need to work through different agents.

400 is too low unless you really want the role to learn something new or walk to work or are not up to snuff.
                Last edited by DS23; 31 July 2008, 14:06. Reason: f

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                  lol

seems to me you need to work through different agents.

400 is too low unless you really want the role to learn something new or walk to work or are not up to snuff.
                  Well I can't say i am not upto snuff as I have got good references both from permie work and contracting...but sadly the reality is for 400/day i am not learning anything new and making a daily 65 mile each way trip

Comment

I can do sql, SAS,Splus, Statistical modelling and yet there are better rates in less skilled IT jobs. There aren't enough people to fill the vacancies in my industry yet the rates are comparably low. How the bobbins does that work?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      You need to actively come up with a strategy to maximise your rate. If an agent has placed you at £400 per day previously it's going to be difficult to justify why you are worth £650 next time round, particularly if it might affect his margin. Agents are ruthless and if the suspect a hint of weakness will batter your expectations down in a heartbeat...pocketing the difference themselves of course.
                      When the agent negotiates your rate with you, that is the point in the whole process where he determines his income. The client is there, the contractor has got the position, the client has their contract ready.... all that remains is for the agent to determine how much money he will get out of it, and how much money will pass through his hands but not stick on the way (i.e. your rate). Expect him to lie steal cheat and kill to minimise that. Unfortunately he "knows the market" because he and his colleagues keep trying to get contractors to work for less, and they continually see how well it plays.

Your response is:
                      1. know the market too. Talk to others who do the same.
                      2. try the market too: if you don't sometimes ask for more, you never know what you might get (if you are never refused then you are asking too little). But it is true that you are unlikely ever to get 650 from an agent who once got you for 400. He has you tagged as 400-a-day for ever.
                      Especially, keep going for contracts when you don't need one, pitching the rate high.
                      3. keep all your contacts and try going direct. Clients may piss you about in other ways but not often in rate. And you're 15% ahead from the start.

Comment

Working...
                      X