• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Gospel According To St. Chav

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    > Takes a modest bow <

So, now we've done religion for the day, how about house prices?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

JC

Certainly if Jesus was correct in his statement ,God is a bit of a property speculator.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

JC

Certainly if Jesus was correct in his statement ,God is a bit of a property speculator.
      FRANCIS:
      Well, blessed is just about everyone with a vested interest in the status quo, as far as I can tell, Reg.
      REG:
      Yeah. Well, what Jesus blatantly fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem.

Comment

JC

I bet He can't wait for April 2006 when He'll be able to use His SIPP to invest in property.

Comment

AlfredJ: Is this not a biblical example of the disparity between the infinities of the rational and irrational number sets?
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            AlfredJ: Is this not a biblical example of the disparity between the infinities of the rational and irrational number sets?
            Imaginary Numbers Threaded, just like imaginary Lamborghini!

Comment

Aye Threaded

That is a fascinating intepretation of a qoute which I have oft pondered,like much of the teachings of Christ there are various possible levels of interpretation.

At one level Christ could be refering to the various levels of reality within the Universe, as I am by no means a mathematician therefore I cannot comment upon your observation on rational and irrational number sets ; altough looking at the night sky, the Universe does seem Approximately Infinite.

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
              That, for all they care, I can go to hell,

But on earth indifference is the least
              We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
              With a passion for us we could not return?

If equal affection cannot be,
              Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
              Of stars that do not give a damn,

I cannot, now I see them, say
              I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die,
              I should learn to look at an empty sky

And feel its total dark sublime,
              Though this might take me a little time.

WH Auden
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 August 2005, 10:55.

Comment

Aye Threaded

That is a fascinating intepretation of a qoute which I have oft pondered,like much of the teachings of Christ there are various possible levels of interpretation.
                Seems a shame to potentially spoil a mental picture of many stately homes all crammed into one house, like some kind of multi-dimensional tardis, but the word "mansion" once meant simply "dwelling", even a single room, from latin "manere" to remain.

So this saying probably would have had a more prosaic meaning in the 17th C, when the King James translation of the Bible was made..
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

original greek

en th oikia tou patros mou monai pollai eisin ei de mh eipon an umin oti poreuomai etoimasai topon umin

(romanised for the forum)
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

original greek

en th oikia tou patros mou monai pollai eisin ei de mh eipon an umin oti poreuomai etoimasai topon umin

I guess "monai pollai" is the bit that means "many mansions", where "pollai" is the "many" word, and "monai" is the plural of "monas" meaning something like "unit" or "cell" (hence "mono" and "monastery"), and you can see how similar "monai" is to "manere".

OH in "Liddell and Scott" mode
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 18 August 2005, 13:36.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

original greek

I did ancient Greek at school. In both senses of the term
                      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                      X