• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stop your mortgage payments altogether and let the bank repossess, it's allowed...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Well that's it I'm moving to America, even in the bad times you can use a 'get out of jail' free card - while the european banks pick up the tab.
    But can you use a 'get out of Gitmo free' card?

Comment

Many people actually think you can 'just give them back the keys' and walk away. As a poster has mentioned this is only possible in the United States. The only way someone can 'walk away' in the UK is if they declare themselves bankrupt; this is the only sure fire way all liabilities are discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        No it won't catch on in the UK, as you will be pursued for the difference. I kn ow this as a family member walked away from a mortgage due to ill health.

The debt was sold by the bank to a very nasty debt collection agency. They will stop at nothing to get the money back. To make it worse, the house is often sold at auction for a tiny fraction of what the homeowner paid.

Don't try this at home folks.
        I think the law has changed now such that they have to get the best price possible.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
          I think the law has changed now such that they have to get the best price possible.
          Yeah - but they can easily argue that selling the house at auction is doing that. If getting the best price means a choice between selling now and waiting five years for the market to catch up - they can sell now at a poorer price.

Comment

Working...
          X