• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hilary Benn defends road tax hike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    The fuel price escalator was introduced by the Conservative government in 1993 and set at an annual increase of 3% ahead of inflation, later rising to 5%.

After gaining power in 1997, the rate of increase was raised by the Labour government to 6% per year. The last rise due to the escalator took place following the budget on March 9, 1999 [1].

The end to the escalator was announced on November 9, 2000, following the UK fuel protests, of which it was a contributory factor. When the escalator ended, fuel in the UK was the most expensive in Europe, with fuel tax representing over 75% of the retail price of fuel. In 1993 UK fuel had been amongst the cheapest in Europe.
    So it was only a stealth tax when Labour continued it. Does that mean they cut taxes or abolished taxes when they stopped the escalator? Oh no, silly me, only Tories can ever stop or cut taxes, even if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      So it was only a stealth tax when Labour continued it. Does that mean they cut taxes or abolished taxes when they stopped the escalator? Oh no, silly me, only Tories can ever stop or cut taxes, even if they don't.
      What colour is the sky in your world?

Comment

What colour is the sky in your world?
        It varies depending on the weather. Do you seriously think a tax created and sustained by one government only becomes a stealth tax if the next government continues with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          It varies depending on the weather. Do you seriously think a tax created and sustained by one government only becomes a stealth tax if the next government continues with it?
          The Conservatives created the concept stealth taxes in the 80's and early 90's.

New Labour however, became the master of the stealth tax, adding 100's of their own and upping the ones created by the previous government.

Comment

The Conservatives created the concept stealth taxes in the 80's and early 90's.

New Labour however, became the master of the stealth tax, adding 100's of their own and upping the ones created by the previous government.
            I don't disagree for the most part my original point was aimed at Cybertory who seemed to be suggesting that only Labour do stealth taxes.

Comment

I think that the drinks industry should be forced to stop producing alcohol for drinking, and made to produce it for fuel.

The financial savings & Health benefits would be phenomenal.
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                I think that the drinks industry should be forced to stop producing alcohol for drinking, and made to produce it for fuel.

The financial savings & Health benefits would be phenomenal.
                flipping heck Diver
                Thats what I call thinking outside the box

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Seems to work in Brazil, though they appear to have a problem with people drinking the petrol.
                  Couldn't they put that stuff in it that makes you sick like they do in meths? (hmmm how do I know this!!!)

Thnking about it, if you can run your car on mazola, shouldn't it run on beer or maybe Thunderbird for the fancy ones? (is not much of a chemist having stopped at O level)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    flipping heck Diver
                    Thats what I call thinking outside the box
                    It's what I call nasty. No alcohol - are you serious??

NURSE - I'VE FOUND ANOTHER ONE....
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

If we all drank a lot more alcohol then we wouldn’t be able to drive and therefore not need so much fuel.
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X