• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

does maths ability have a shelf life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    It sits proudly on my shelf
    I just have a whip and a 'Rabbit' on my shelf.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Anyway us geeks feel sorry for you BB watchers. Never will you experience the satisfaction of understanding some deep insight into the world.
      To be honest I stopped watching it after the first couple of weeks, but don't feel sorry for me. I'll get by just fine without "Differential Equations Demystified".

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
        I just have a whip and a 'Rabbit' on my shelf.

You can't beat a 'Rabbit'
        Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
        "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
        Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          So does no-one on here agree that learning and understanding stuff just gets easier as you get older?
          I think that understanding does. In one of the few authentically difficult fields like mathematice, where learning must come first, before understanding, I do not believe that it does. That is why there have been few older mathematicians, and even those who lived long and remained sharp (like Bertrand Russell) turned to other fields as they got older.

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
            You can't beat a 'Rabbit'
            My kinda girl.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              I think that understanding does. In one of the few authentically difficult fields like mathematice, where learning must come first, before understanding, I do not believe that it does. That is why there have been few older mathematicians, and even those who lived long and remained sharp (like Bertrand Russell) turned to other fields as they got older.
              What's the difference between learning and understanding? If you've understood something you've learnt it IMHO.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

What's the difference between learning and understanding? If you've understood something you've learnt it IMHO.
                Indeed. But e.g. maths takes a lot of learning, and it doesn't get easier to learn with age. Understanding does get easier with age, if you have been absorbing and thinking all that time.

A corollary is that understanding maths does not get easier, because learning it does not.

Comment

I use Trachtenberg mathematics FTW.

Everyone thinks I'm an autistic savant because I can multiply 10+ digit numbers by each other in seconds.

Google it. Change your life. It can be our secret.

HTH. CFK.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
                    I use Trachtenberg mathematics FTW.

Everyone thinks I'm an autistic savant because I can multiply 10+ digit numbers by each other in seconds.

Google it. Change your life. It can be our secret.

HTH. CFK.
                    That's arithmetic, not maths. You fail.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

That's arithmetic, not maths. You fail.
                      Arithmetic is the oldest branch of Mathematics.

You buffoon.

Comment

Working...
                      X