• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession here we come...but taxes keep going up!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I don't complain about rising taxes (they are still too low), but I do about them not being spent well.

You are Gordon Brown !!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I don't complain about rising taxes (they are still too low), but I do about them not being spent well.
      Go live in North Korea or Cuba you twunt.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Go live in North Korea or Cuba you twunt.
        WHS
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

No need to be abusive. If taxes were spent in an efficient manner and I got something from them like good public transport, an efficient health service, low crime and a good education system, I too would be happy to pay more.
          Unfortunately pigs are more likely to fly than for our government to efficiently use public money
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

There are four ways in which you can spend money.

You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost.

Then, I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch!

Finally, I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get.

And that’s government. And that’s close to 40% of our national income.

Milton Friedman

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              No need to be abusive. If taxes were spent in an efficient manner and I got something from them like good public transport, an efficient health service, low crime and a good education system, I too would be happy to pay more.
              Unfortunately pigs are more likely to fly than for our government to efficiently use public money
              WHS.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
                That is surprisingly insightful for a change.
                I like to be "surprisingly insightful" every now and then

Now, as I mentioned above...I reckon Gordo has f8cked up big time. He has a bloated public service that requires billions and billions of pounds to run, which is why I reckon he couldnt cut taxes even if he wanted to simply because he has to pay for the monster he has created.

What surprises me though is the total lack of discussion about the impending recession and tax rises AND the lack of comparison between America, who had tax refunds, and the UK who doesnt.

Then again, when you think about it, is this really a surprise?

A country that nationalises a bank in trouble (Northern Rock), which means all those small time shareholders now have shares worth less than its weight in sh1t and a country who bailed out a bank (Bear Steins, sp??) but ultimately protected all the small time shareholders as they still have their shares and even though they are worth a fraction of what they used to be worth...at least their shares still have value and still have the opportunity to go up!

Mailman

Comment

The snot goblin needs to read and understand the parable of the broken window.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman View Post
                    I like to be "surprisingly insightful" every now and then

Now, as I mentioned above...I reckon Gordo has f8cked up big time. He has a bloated public service that requires billions and billions of pounds to run, which is why I reckon he couldnt cut taxes even if he wanted to simply because he has to pay for the monster he has created.

What surprises me though is the total lack of discussion about the impending recession and tax rises AND the lack of comparison between America, who had tax refunds, and the UK who doesnt.

Then again, when you think about it, is this really a surprise?

A country that nationalises a bank in trouble (Northern Rock), which means all those small time shareholders now have shares worth less than its weight in tulip and a country who bailed out a bank (Bear Steins, sp??) but ultimately protected all the small time shareholders as they still have their shares and even though they are worth a fraction of what they used to be worth...at least their shares still have value and still have the opportunity to go up!

Mailman
                    Oh goody Chuck Norris is back from 'Nam again to tell us how much better things are done in the land of the septics. USA! USA!

Comment

Originally posted by LGDT View Post
                      There are four ways in which you can spend money.

You can spend your own money on yourself. When you do that, why then you really watch out what you’re doing, and you try to get the most for your money.

Then you can spend your own money on somebody else. For example, I buy a birthday present for someone. Well, then I’m not so careful about the content of the present, but I’m very careful about the cost.

Then, I can spend somebody else’s money on myself. And if I spend somebody else’s money on myself, then I’m sure going to have a good lunch!

Finally, I can spend somebody else’s money on somebody else. And if I spend somebody else’s money on somebody else, I’m not concerned about how much it is, and I’m not concerned about what I get.

And that’s government. And that’s close to 40% of our national income.

Milton Friedman
                      Sounds good, means squat. *I'll elaborate if you like but it's not my point right here.

Milton Friedman: advised General Pinochet. Pinochet, who famously massacred stadiums-full of his fellow citizens, demurred at the pain that some of Friedman's prescriptions would cause. Friedman didn't: people didn't really appear in his world-view.

Friedman's ravishing of Chile's economy failed more and more, and Friedman invariably prescribed more and more Friedmanism (shades of Thatcher here). All the while, Friedman proclaimed loudly what he called the Miracle of Chile. Actually the entire Chilean economy was sold off at bargain basement prices to multinationals (read, American companies) except the copper mines. Finally Chile did turn the corner, but only after Pinochet U-turned and re-introduced the "developmentalist" economics that work so well in most of the world.

Friedman? An apologist for American pillaging. Friedmanism works well only in the sense that if you are the US (which has never embraced Friedmanism) and you can persuade other countries to adopt it, you can strip them.

Of course, no population has ever voluntarily submitted to Friedmanism. Dictators are out of fashion these days, so Shock and Awe does the job instead.

Milton Friedman? Just smarter than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.
                      Last edited by expat; 10 July 2008, 18:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X