• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % do house prices need to fall before you are in negative equity?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capital? What's that like? London innit?

Comment

I voted 50% as that would mean my mortgage would be slighly more than the house value. Literally speaking that's confusing as I have an offset mortgage with <£8K outstanding.
      As I pay higher rate tax I find offset to be better value on my savings than most other methods.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        How are you paying off the capital?
        Interest only monthly payments, but with occasional bulk payments?

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
          Lets hope so. Of course negative equity still applies.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            How are you paying it off in 5 years if you have an interest only mortgage?
            The mortgage is linked to our joint account. We put £2k in each every month, with bulk payments each year.
            It'll probably be paid in 4 years really, but we wanted to account for the wedding costs this year.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
              Yes - spot on
              The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Lets hope so. Of course negative equity still applies.
                Yeah I guess it does really. We still have to pay off £280k, even if our house plummits to being "worth" less than that. (Cause that's what we paid for it).

The thing is, I coudn't care less! I have a 6 bedroom 3 storey house in the centre of a city I love - it's never going to be "worth" less than £280k to me.

"Negative Equity" as a theory only exists if you want it to

Sal in <if a tree falls in the forrest and noone is around to hear it> mode
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  The mortgage is linked to our joint account. We put £2k in each every month, with bulk payments each year.
                  It'll probably be paid in 4 years really, but we wanted to account for the wedding costs this year.
                  Negative equity still applies though. If the value of the house falls below (purchase price - payments already made) you are in negative equity. Although I guess if you are paying it off in 5 years then you are paying it off faster than prices are falling?
                  It's interesting - never had to think of it like that.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

It only exists for BTLers who can't cover the mortgage with reduced rents, and for buyers who mortgage a large fraction of the value of the house to buy it and then have to get rid of it in a hurry.

If you don't have to sell, it's irrelevant.
                    Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Yeah I guess it does really. We still have to pay off £280k, even if our house plummits to being "worth" less than that. (Cause that's what we paid for it).

The thing is, I coudn't care less! I have a 6 bedroom 3 storey house in the centre of a city I love - it's never going to be "worth" less than £280k to me.

Sal in <if a tree falls in the forrest and noone is around to hear it> mode
                      That's the right attitude actually.
                      Although I can't get over £280K for a 6-bed town house.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X