• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Organising weekel EU commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    are you driving if you go to stansted?
    Yes. In itself'that's not bad. I don't hesitate to use Stansted for a one-off trip, but for the weekly commute it just doesn't "tune" as well as others, not when there are so many other parts of the journey.

If I were working in a direct destination from STN I'd probably use it.

But I'm trying to be more imaginative and cut out the obvious flights if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Stanstead is is fine if you're not travelling with luggage - have often spent over an hour waiting for luggage there.
      Bizarre - thats the complete opposite to my experience. Generally waited at most 5 mins at the baggage carousel. Admittedly that was with a tiny airline on a tiny plane (4-5 passengers is the norm)

However, i've found it to be one of the more pleasant UK airports
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Stanstead is is fine if you're not travelling with luggage - have often spent over an hour waiting for luggage there.

FWIW, I quite like Heathrow, but it is only 20 mins from my house.
        I don't travel with luggage, except when security at Heathrow make me check in my effing umbrella.

If it were near me, LHR would be tolerable, but it's not near (or rather it is near but not easily accessible).
        Last edited by expat; 8 July 2008, 12:57.

Comment

I fly the BHX, AMS route. But only fortnightly (renting in AMS). The other option in that area is east mids or whatever they're calling the airport this week. If you find a solution share the love, I'm looking to ditch the renting and commute for the same reasons.
          B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            2. Drive Mon eve to Harwich, overnight ferry to Hoek.
            Post your experiences if you try the ferry, I quite like the idea myself if they have bar / disco with the ladies and the drinking.
            And is it possible to get a cabin to one-self at a reasonable price?
            Could be a groovy party ferry (GPF), who knows?
            Bored.

Comment

Bizarre - thats the complete opposite to my experience. Generally waited at most 5 mins at the baggage carousel. Admittedly that was with a tiny airline on a tiny plane (4-5 passengers is the norm)

Oh, the small airport and the small plane is what I would like. What's yours may I ask? I might consider it.

Comment

The only time I fly from Stanstead is when I can't persuade the cheapskates I go snowboarding with to ditch easyjet.

The rest of the time (even when commuting to Moscow) I try to travel with hand luggage only.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
                  I fly the BHX, AMS route. But only fortnightly (renting in AMS). The other option in that area is east mids or whatever they're calling the airport this week. If you find a solution share the love, I'm looking to ditch the renting and commute for the same reasons.
                  I'm not in the area, but I can get the train from Milton Keynes and arrive right in the airport. More or less the opposite of getting to Heathrow.

Comment

Expat, how easy is it for you to get to City Airport? Most efficient airport in my experience although flights from there may be expensive.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                      Oh, the small airport and the small plane is what I would like. What's yours may I ask? I might consider it.
                      Eastern Airways, Manc to Stansted

When I fly to NL, i go MAN to AMS or ROT with KLM or VLM respectively.
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X