• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Federer/Nadal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The greatest tendency would be to come straight down (hence the term falling down, rather than falling sideways ), and more so with tall buildings. I am well aware of the conservation of energy, but this is a staw-man without explanation, since CoE only means what it says, and that is that the building would happily stay where it is.

To get an idea of the forces involved in toppling just have a guess. At an angle theta to the vertical, the sideways force on the framework would be on the order of m*g*sin(theta). At zero degrees this is zero in a horizontal direction, and the way things should be, downward compressive forces only. At 30 degrees the framework would have to withstand 50% of the weight of building - sideways . A tensile force in a direction it isn't designed to withstand, and only one bolt has to fail before irt collapses rather than topples. It couldn't topple much.
    Hmm... plenty of food for thought there, thanks TW, I'll have to read up on this a bit more.

Comment

From tennis to terrorism conspiracy theories.

Excellent stuff...carry on.
      That boy go raaaaaaa
      Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post

From tennis to terrorism conspiracy theories.

Excellent stuff...carry on.
        I once went to tortoise sanctuary in France. Did you know that when tortoises make love, they emit sounds that are exactly like human beings?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I once went to tortoise sanctuary in France. Did you know that when tortoises make love, they emit sounds that are exactly like human beings?
          Is that another 'you couldn't make this up' story? Because if it's true, it's freaky.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            Is that another 'you couldn't make this up' story? Because if it's true, it's freaky.
            I saw it with my own eyes.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I saw it with my own eyes.
              Well, according to Wikipedia, it's true.

By Grabthar's Grunting tortoise, I salute you.

Comment

Any other species make human-like noises during copulation? Zeity?

Comment

Mac users apparently
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Actually in retrospect, "copulation" is a better term for what tortoises do than "making love". Which raises the question - do tortoises love?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Actually in retrospect, "copulation" is a better term for what tortoises do than "making love". Which raises the question - do tortoises love?
                      tortoises love lettuce.

Comment

Working...
                      X