• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

house prices to fall by 76.4pc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    The Tories won't re-fuel the housing boom, they would be mad to do so, and they can't. The banks hold the Key with their LIBOR and lending policies (which have been ignoring BoE changes for some time. Moreover, interest rates will not come down if inflation carries on.

HIPS can be got for a couple of hundred quid, a small cost given the price of houses. I don't agree with HIPS but the legislation hasn't had any significant impact.

Sitting in a position of wealth its easy to dismiss the grim reality which ordinary people now face. they are the people driving the market, and they are the reason it can't carry on.

Bagpuss.. again you refer to a boom. That will not happen, but we do need steadily increasing house prices, if only to cover inflation, or we will be worse off. Removal of HIPs and reduction of stamp duty will not cause a boom but it will serve to rectify some of the current slump before it becomes a major crash. It will also help those first time buyers that you appear concerned about!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
      Suits me though, I'll just sit and wait a year then snap up a couple of more nice and cheap to add to the portfolio. (Stamp duty doesn't bother me)
      Putting the wheels in motion right now, not UK though. Another 20% off houses and the same off the currency yet to come IMO.
      Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
        Putting the wheels in motion right now, not UK though. Another 20% off houses and the same off the currency yet to come IMO.

August 2009 is when my loan for the last 2 gets paid off. Straight back to Black Horse after that.

"I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          . It will also help those first time buyers that you appear concerned about!!
          Of course I'm concerned about first time buyers. A housing chain cannot work without someone buying at the botom. Until recently BTL was making up the shortfall. No BTL and no first time buyers means market collapse.

Flooding an economy with cheap and easy money is stupid.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            Of course I'm concerned about first time buyers. A housing chain cannot work without someone buying at the botom. Until recently BTL was making up the shortfall. No BTL and no first time buyers means market collapse.

Flooding an economy with cheap and easy money is stupid.

Where's this cheap and easy money, and who said we should supply it ? Reducing stamp duty and abolishing HIPs will not creating cheap and easy money, but will oil the 'rusty' housing market and aid BTL and FTBs.

Comment

Where's this cheap and easy money, and who said we should supply it ? Reducing stamp duty and abolishing HIPs will not creating cheap and easy money, but will oil the 'rusty' housing market and aid BTL and FTBs.
              If there are few first time buyers and few BTLers and banks get tight on lending criteria the money supply to the housing market contracts. Even if demand were to stay the same without supply of money the market prices have to fall. The only way to continue the boom is to ease lending criteria and create further bad debt and thus guarantee we have a proper recession. Forget HIPS and stamp duty it's a side issue. The supply of 'consequence free' money has got us into this mess only sound econmic sense will get us out of it. Lending based on affordability,a housing market based on repayable and manageable debt, which is how things used to be.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I don't quite understand how scrapping a requirement to put the onus on the vendor to provide the following:
                • evidence of title
                • local authority Search (including Land Charges, Planning and Highways)
                • Water and Drainage Search
                • copies of any Leases or Licences to which the property is subject
                • Documents relied on to deduce unregistered title
                • Documents referred to in the register of title
                • Required or authorised common hold or leasehold information

will be an incentive to a buyer? Last time I bought I property, I had to fork out for them. Care to explain.
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dave.Mac View Post
                  I don't quite understand how scrapping a requirement to put the onus on the vendor to provide the following:
                  • evidence of title
                  • local authority Search (including Land Charges, Planning and Highways)
                  • Water and Drainage Search
                  • copies of any Leases or Licences to which the property is subject
                  • Documents relied on to deduce unregistered title
                  • Documents referred to in the register of title
                  • Required or authorised common hold or leasehold information

will be an incentive to a buyer? Last time I bought I property, I had to fork out for them. Care to explain.
                  Exactly, add in the original intention of having a legally binding survey in there also and it would be even easier and cheaper to buy a house.

But the vested interests of surveyors, conveyancers and EAs put pay to that.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Exactly, add in the original intention of having a legally binding survey in there also and it would be even easier and cheaper to buy a house.

But the vested interests of surveyors, conveyancers and EAs put pay to that.
                    And the fact that if you've not got shift of your house in 3 months you need to do it all again would surely suggest putting the property on at a sensible price in the first place

Comment

Cybertory - where on earth do you get all this tulip from?

Originally posted by Cybertory View Post
                      .. Plus a HIP is only valid for a few months....
                      - once again you redefine our language - "a few"???? Exactly how many do you think is "a few" (unlike you I know the answer as I've had a HIP done for my house).

Originally posted by Cybertory View Post
                      .. . Thus HIPS are deterring folk from marketing houses unless they are absolutely determined to sell. /.
                      EH? how is having houses on the market that people don't want to sell actually going to help improve prices?

As for the idea that the Tories will instantly (or at all) fix all this - what a laugh. This from the party that abolished tax relief on mortgages and gave us 15% mortgage rates!

Comment

Working...
                      X