• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

house prices to fall by 76.4pc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the end I think all the housing bubbles, Japan, Ireland and UK are down to the same thing, cheap and unsustainable debt. Take the easy credit away and the bubble bursts. The other factors are marginal. Who knows how bad it'll be but I think we are looking at a large UK correction. It's going to be 10%+ down in 12 months and that's without job losses kicking in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      It wasn't Nigela
      Hilarious.

He can say what he likes I am not sure what influence he has on tory policy, is what I meant. Mr Fimee!

Comment

Cyberman doesn't think so.

Cyberman, I've got some dot com shares if you're interested
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          But the Tories don't want the boom to continue. On Newsnight, Lawson was only the other day advocating a rise in interest rates to control the housing market and inflation, IMHO a wise move. Booms are not good for the long term stability of the economy

Steadily increasing house-prices do not constitute a boom, and at the moment we are in danger of anything but that. HIPS and stamp duty are two major factors in the current slump.

The boom that has just ended was unsustainable and instigated by government policy(ie: lack of regulation) and will not happen again because the same level of mortgages will not be available. Banks will be much more careful about lending levels in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            HIPS and stamp duty are two major factors in the current slump.
            Bollards !

Comment

HIPS and stamp duty have little or no effect compared to the banks reviewing their lending policy. Add to that house prices being so high first time buyers can't even enter the market AND inflation
              and we can see the root of the problem.

House prices will return to the long term multiples of income, sooner or later
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Steadily increasing house-prices
                Is that what you think has happened over the last 7-8 years?
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Bollards !

Well, that was a concise argument!! I read a very persuasive article yesterday on stamp duty. RICS has called for reductions because they believe it is exacerbating the slump, as buyers have to find almost 10,000 pounds when buying a reasonable sized house. In a falling market that is a tremendous amount of money to find and can be immediately lost by a fall in equity, whereas in a rising market increasing equity rapidly covers the outlay.

HIPS is distorting the market by reducing the availability of properties as people like myself wait for a change in government policy by the Tories which will correct the slump.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Is that what you think has happened over the last 7-8 years?

No.... I am referring to the FUTURE under the Tories, and a boom of the past 7-8 years simply cannot happen again !! Banks have all but stopped lending and we will not return to previous 'irresponsible' lending regardless of what the Tories do.

Comment

Well, that was a concise argument!! I read a very persuasive article yesterday on stamp duty. RICS has called for reductions because they believe it is exacerbating the slump, as buyers have to find almost 10,000 pounds when buying a reasonable sized house. In a falling market that is a tremendous amount of money to find and can be immediately lost by a fall in equity, whereas in a rising market increasing equity rapidly covers the outlay.

HIPS is distorting the market by reducing the availability of properties as people like myself wait for a change in government policy by the Tories which will correct the slump.
                      The Tories won't re-fuel the housing boom, they would be mad to do so, and they can't. The banks hold the Key with their LIBOR and lending policies (which have been ignoring BoE changes for some time. Moreover, interest rates will not come down if inflation carries on.

HIPS can be got for a couple of hundred quid, a small cost given the price of houses. I don't agree with HIPS but the legislation hasn't had any significant impact.

Sitting in a position of wealth its easy to dismiss the grim reality which ordinary people now face. they are the people driving the market, and they are the reason it can't carry on.

Comment

Working...
                      X