• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probability problem for statisticians/mathematicians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
    Everyone who has posted in this thread is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    Do I get +5 Xeno Geek points per post?

How do they relate to Xeno TW@ points (I think I am on +1?)

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon View Post
      They are priceless.
      FFS, that’s all I need. More stuff I can’t put a value too. Don’t you think we’ve got enough stuff we don’t know what it’s worth at the moment.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        Is there a secondary market in these ‘ Xeno geek points’? if so, how do I price them?
        Collect 500 and you get a free litre of pretol from Morissons.
        Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post

It's going up so fast these days they can't even be bothered to get the letters in the right order
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Do I get +5 Xeno Geek points per post?

How do they relate to Xeno TW@ points (I think I am on +1?)
            No, just +5, greedy guts.

There is no such thing as Xeno TW@ Points and they have never been awarded. Cranium made that up. I have referred to him as being a TW@, but never awarded him any points.

His signature is a lie and he is a cheat and a charlatan and he should hang his homophobic head in shame.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

FFS, that’s all I need. More stuff I can’t put a value too. Don’t you think we’ve got enough stuff we don’t know what it’s worth at the moment.
              Sorry HAB.

I feel your pain.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                Splendid! Just like Tesco club card points – I worked out that if I spend 30,000 squidlies with them I can get enough points converted into air miles to get to America. I think I’ll have to re-do that one, it was when oil was at 50 bucks.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

In reliability problems such as this, aren’t you supposed to use the Poisson distribution?
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    If it requires 30 space shuttle flights to build the space station, and the probability of success for each flight is 98%, what is the probability of at least one failure in the sequence of 30 flights?

This seemed to be a straightforward case of a Binomial distribution to me with:

n=30
                    r=1
                    p=0.02
                    q=0.98

Plugging into the Binomial formula gives me a probability of 0.333.

However, according to NASA it is 0.888.
                    And another text book gives 0.4545.

Can anyone explain the right answer?
                    you guys are missing one factor

0.45 is the correct answer, but each visit to the ISS consists of TWO trips, one there and one back.

hence the doubling of the chances of a failure

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Chuck em on ebay

HTH
                      Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                      X