• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probability problem for statisticians/mathematicians

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If it requires 30 space shuttle flights to build the space station, and the probability of success for each flight is 98%, what is the probability of at least one failure in the sequence of 30 flights?

This seemed to be a straightforward case of a Binomial distribution to me with:

n=30
    r=1
    p=0.02
    q=0.98

Plugging into the Binomial formula gives me a probability of 0.333.

However, according to NASA it is 0.888.
    And another text book gives 0.4545.

Can anyone explain the right answer?
    Not sure about Nasa(got a link?). But I think the text book is right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

n=30
    k=0
    p=0.02 i.e. success=failure!

Pr(K=0) = binomial(n,k) * power(p,k)*power(1-p, n-k)

= 1 * 1 * power(0.98, 30) = 0.545484319

So failure is not getting the above = 0.4545

Where did you get your formula from?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
      Statistically the probability of failure would increase with each trip made. the more trips the higher the probability.
      No it doesnt. Thats where a lot go wrong. Probability is reset on each and every turn.
      eg
      If you toss a coin, it doesnt matter if the last 50 have all been heads - the probability of the next one being a head (or a tail) is still .5

(dmini in her Pure Maths & stats degree mode!)

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        I wouldn't trust NASA, they can't tell the difference between centimetres and inches...
        But they got a man to the moon. Or was it to a TV studio in Vegas?

Comment

yeah 0.333 is the probability that exactly one flight will go wrong

30 * (0.02 * 0.98^29) = 0.333969991

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
            No it doesnt. Thats where a lot go wrong. Probability is reset on each and every turn.
            eg
            If you toss a coin, it doesnt matter if the last 50 have all been heads - the probability of the next one being a head (or a tail) is still .5

(dmini in her Pure Maths & stats degree mode!)
            A space shuttle is a lot more complicated than a coin. If you applied that logic to a car, you'd never need to have it serviced (although I assume shuttles are intensively serviced between each trip, but even so they must get more unreliable eventually just the same as planes)

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
              A space shuttle is a lot more complicated than a coin. If you applied that logic to a car, you'd never need to have it serviced (although I assume shuttles are intensively serviced between each trip, but even so they must get more unreliable eventually just the same as planes)
              Maybe that is the difference? Nasa assumes it gets more unreliable. But that was not the question posed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Not sure about Nasa(got a link?). But I think the text book is right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_distribution

n=30
                k=0
                p=0.02 i.e. success=failure!

Pr(K=0) = binomial(n,k) * power(p,k)*power(1-p, n-k)

= 1 * 1 * power(0.98, 30) = 0.545484319

So failure is not getting the above = 0.4545

Where did you get your formula from?
                Used same formula, but got the answer for exactly one failure not at least one failure. See Bobhope's answer above. Your calculation is correct.
                Thanks to all who replied - I'll have more problems for you soon
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

You must be bored if you're doing a/s level maths.
                  I hope this isn't your coursework!
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    You must be bored if you're doing a/s level maths.
                    I hope this isn't your coursework!

Comment

In reliability problems such as this, aren’t you supposed to use the Poisson distribution?
                      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                      X