• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart arsed interviewers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Get up, apologise saying you will obviously not fit in to the culture here and walk out.
    WHS (or "here here" for the old-timers)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Also, if the computer is travelling through a wormhole the next statement to run will be the previous one.

HTH
      haha, I should have said that!

Comment

One interview I got asked.... "Welcome John, I see your surname is Smith, that's unusual where did you get that from?"
        To which I just replied - my parents...

Another interview for a 6 month gig - Where do you think you will be in 5 years. WTF I thought, to which I responded - "A long way from here". I got the gig

Comment

I once got given this long winded scenario by the 'technical' interviewer. He said 'would this work' to which i replied, 'yep'. He then said, 'no it won't because there is an embedded checkbox which is enabled by default so would mean it doesn't work ootb'.

I wouldn't have minded so much but it was for an architects role. Needless to say, I didn't want to work with an anal twat like that.

Nobber...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Actually once, I walked into one office and noticed that one person had an inflatable excercise ball at the desk instead of a chair. I said to the interviewer afterwards (we had been getting on really well), "Who sits on that thing, bit weird isnt it?".

He said "I do".

I should keep my mouth shut!

Comment

Originally posted by matt99 View Post
              Actually once, I walked into one office and noticed that one person had an inflatable excercise ball at the desk instead of a chair. I said to the interviewer afterwards (we had been getting on really well), "Who sits on that thing, bit weird isnt it?".

He said "I do".

I should keep my mouth shut!
              Should have asked if he was pregnant to smooth things over.

Comment

At my first job interview I was asked by the manager (a great bloke who I ended up working for) whether I wanted to work for him as a contractor. I knew nothing of these things and insisted that I would only take a permanent role! Only years later did I discover that he was doing me a favour (being an ex contractor himself and with other contractors on the team). Instead I took the low paid permie position Still, 5 years later I was to put that right.

Comment

I interviewed for a full week once. 7 or 8 applicants a day

Interviewed this guy , he was ok nothing special but i had a lot of positions going so it looked like he was going to get something. I finished up with the usual "thanks very much for attending and the agency will be in touch in the next few days"

Went back to my desk filled in a few notes for 5 minutes and walked outside to greet the next guy.

"Good morning, sorry to keep you would you like to follow me"

We sat down in the room and I started off my usual opening speel

30 seconds in he pipes up "You do realise that you have just interviewed me?"

B*gger

Comment

Originally posted by matt99 View Post
                    Can anyone brighten my monday with stories of interview questions that made you want to reach over the table and punch them?

When I was going for a junior-ish role. I was asked

"in C#, will the code in the finally clause always run?"

I said "yes, I believe it does".

he said "WRONG. It will not run if the server has a power failure during the operation "

KNOBHEAD!
                    Yes it will if triggered by a signal from the UPS. Of course, that's why we fit a UPS to the server... Not to save it but to control its shutdown.

Love you!!!

Comment

I interviewed once for an MOD role, my standard opening question

Does radar have a useful purpose in defence ?
                      Silly git starts talking about fence posts and wire netting and stuff, I terminated the interview PDQ. It was only as he was leaving that I noticed he was wearing a lop-sided wig that looked like a scouring pad

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X