• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday home anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is a holiday home really worth the money, how often do you go there, is it rented out while you're not there ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
      is a holiday home really worth the money, how often do you go there, is it rented out while you're not there ?

Milan.
      No it wouldn't be rented out when I'm not there - I have a Cretan friend who would use it (and hopefully maintain it). I would go there around 3-4 times a year. PS I would pay cash for this one - its not very expensive.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

so let's get this straight, you plan to pay cash for a stone hut in Crete which you will call your holiday _home_ and you plan to visit there 3 or 4 times a year and when you're not there you know a cretin who will live there and maintain it for you

Milan.

Comment

so let's get this straight, you plan to pay cash for a stone hut in Crete which you will call your holiday _home_ and you plan to visit there 3 or 4 times a year and when you're not there you know a cretin who will live there and maintain it for you

Milan.
          Yes. Good, eh?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Milan.
            Some of my relatives went on holidays in the same place at the same location for 20 years. If they have bought a flat there, they would have saved money plus would have had a capital at the end. It pretty much depends on your lifestyle but I wouldnt say that it's the worst investment in the world if you plan to spend a consistent number of holidays in the years to come at the same place. Certainly there are better investment opportunities, including the possibility of renting it out most of the year but then again, it's all up to individual lifestyle and greed (and also possibility of sudden holidays).
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

There's something I'm not telling you

My mate who will live in the property is an old university friend from 15 years ago. Some years ago he turned his back on the rat race and now lives in Crete where he's been working as an odd job man renovating people's second homes.
              He trained as an engineer and is pretty good with his hands.
              So the deal is I buy a wreck (which can be obtained for not much more than the price of a top end car here) and he slowly does it up, in exchange for living there rent free.
              So not such a bad investment after all, I think. Only slight downside is is it wise to come to such an arangement with a mate?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not sure about the mate bit, Sasguru. What happens if he lets you down? Sounds to me like he's not going to be that bothered about doing anything.

Good basic concept though. Take no notice of all the misery punters on here and get your holiday pile. I've had a place in Portugal for quite a while and have never regretted it for a moment (even when it's empty).

Comment

Lucifer,

Where in Portugal, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

West of Lisbon.

Comment

I bet Algarve, have I won my 5 pounds?

And certainly not close to the spanish coast either but in the full set of golfing clubs and irish pubs in the Algarve new british resort.
                      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                      X