• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accomodation and Travel - Poll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends what I can get. I have worked both, where client pays and all in.

Back in the old days where my only reason for working was to get beer tokens I would always get some dingy B&B and get so pissed every evening I could have slept on a spike and not noticed.

Nowadays I tend to go the '1st Class' route I'm afraid. My last gig abroad was the best yet. Client paid weekly return flight (full price so often upgraded to bizo) and for a pukka hotel (200 E a night) Better rates, better hotels and better whores when one gets older.

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
      i'm on an all-in. lower costs mean bigger profit.
      me too. Contracting is not my life, I do it for the money. The less I spend on hotels, the more i have to spend at home. If that means I stay in £25 a night B&Bs, then I don't care, it's only me. I can rough it a few nights a week.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

The cheapest B&B I had was £13 a night, en-suite king sized bed.

The worst so far has also been the most expensive. Why is Herts so expensive, when most of the towns are dumps?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          The cheapest B&B I had was £13 a night, en-suite king sized bed.

The worst so far has also been the most expensive. Why is Herts so expensive, when most of the towns are dumps?
          Most of the South of England

Good point, well made - some of the best value places I have stayed have been cheapest. I generally (but not always) avoid the big chain hotels.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Most of the South of England

Good point, well made - some of the best value places I have stayed have been cheapest. I generally (but not always) avoid the big chain hotels.
            The cheapest I stayed in was in Kent.
            I found Bucks to be full of good reasonably priced hotels and B&B. Most of what I have seen in the same range here is terrible, many of the so called B&B are rooms in someones skanky house.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I generally quote excluding expenses but this usually gets the agent flustered and they wont even put the option to the end client. So end up with an all in daily rate and find somewhere decent but economical if staying away.

Currently in the Cotswolds paying £37/night B&B

Comment

I go direct and negotiate so the client pays all expenses, travel, accommodation and food included. Been very successful so far no clients have balked at this.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Rate all in but I still travel 1st class and stay somewhere reasonable. One has to have standards.
                  Ditto.

Get that contract money spent on expenses, not taken as taxed dividends.

I've stayed in some cracking places over the years and LtdCo paid. I can then skip holidays and work through, if necessary.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                  X