• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good reasons to buy property NOW !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I wonder how you'll feel when you realise that the payments you are making now would have bought you a mansion in 2 yrs time, but you can't sell up and move due to negative equity.
    You reckon it'll drop a massive more than the 20% we got off asking price then? ... I'd expect maybe another 5-10% max at some point but we need a bigger place, and I don't really want to wait on the vagaries of the market for the massive 'mansion' drop you're on about in two years.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      You reckon it'll drop a massive more than the 20% we got off asking price then? ... I'd expect maybe another 5-10% max at some point but we need a bigger place, and I don't really want to wait on the vagaries of the market for the massive 'mansion' drop you're on about in two years.

Prices will be 40 - 50% down in 12 to 24 months.

It always amazes me that people accept without a blink of an eye that house prices can rise 50% for no apparent reason apart from the availability of cheap credit and yet cannot accept the same fall when the credit bubble is removed.

Comment

How long is a piece of string !?

If you can financially cope with a possible big drop then take the plunge and live with it come what may. It's not much fun looking at Rightmove everyday with a growing household ! There is also the risk of hyperinflation wiping out the massive debts out there and making the prices seem not so silly.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          How long is a piece of string !?

If you can financially cope with a possible big drop then take the plunge and live with it come what may. It's not much fun looking at Rightmove everyday with a growing household ! There is also the risk of hyperinflation wiping out the massive debts out there and making the prices seem not so silly.

Sadly the hyperinflation we are seeing on fuel, food etc (e.g. 20+% pa) is not going to be reflected in incomes. If anything, incomes will fall due to massively rising taxes combined with recession and rising unemployment.

So the £500K bedsit will still seem expensive in a few years.

Comment

It always amazes me that people accept without a blink of an eye that house prices can rise 50% for no apparent reason apart from the availability of cheap credit and yet cannot accept the same fall when the credit bubble is removed.
            I think we are in for a big crash but I don't think the official figures will come anywhere near that in that timespan. If you are looking at buying in areas of high turnover ( ie. London and its commuter belt ) then you might see individual houses losing 50% if things go really pear shaped, I know flats lost 50% last time round in ropey bits of London for a very specific time period.

Comment

Can't be long until the BBC is wall-to-wall programmes about Property Developers giving up the strains and stresses of the rat race, for the quieter climes of City trading.
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                I think we are in for a big crash but I don't think the official figures will come anywhere near that in that timespan. If you are looking at buying in areas of high turnover ( ie. London and its commuter belt ) then you might see individual houses losing 50% if things go really pear shaped, I know flats lost 50% last time round in ropey bits of London for a very specific time period.

Prices are now falling 2.5% in one month. Even assuming an average fall of 1% per month over the next 2 yrs equates to almost 25%.

1% is relatively speaking a soft landing.

Comment

Snaw, did you buy in SW london again?

Comment

Cool! I might be able to afford something.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      Cool! I might be able to afford something.
                      You can afford something right now you know:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=5&tr_t=buy

What are you waiting for?

Comment

Working...
                      X