• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Places to live in London...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Something in between' really...

1) I have two options: live there full time in which case id go for something more comfortable, or

2) Just get a place to crash during the week and probably buy abroad - the Eurostar suggestion is something ive considered before, and im running through the possibilities / upsides / downsides of having a 'main' residence abroad...

So at the moment im listening to peoples opinions about standard of living / costs etc before making a decision...
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Easy hotel. Prices from £20 a night - South Ken.
      Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Not bad - that would be all id need for 'surviving' monday to thursday...
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

If you want a flat ...

Try Aldgate/Whitechapel. Some niceish flats around there and you're bang in Zone 1 so no long commutes. Area is not the best but safe enough - crime is of the petty kind - stealing car radios etc.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

In between to live in permanently would be places like Putney, Grenwich, Islington - great transport and not too claustraphobic, good pubs and close but far enough away ...

Part time then maybe a flat share - www.craigslist.org or loot.co.uk might offer some. Any hotel at £20 a night in London had got to have some serious issues.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
              For £20 per night you'd spend half the night squashing bed bugs, and the other half asleep with one eye open to ensure none of the other dozen dossers in the room rifled through your bags.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                A friend of mine stayed in a similar establishment in South Ken. 2 bunk beds in a prison cell sized room with NO furnishings (tv, fridge, kettle, nothing), communal toilets/showers. And he had the tube pass by on the other side of the wall.

So at least you could sleep between 01:15 and 05:00.....

Comment

Franco I noticed you sneaking in with a short veiled attack on east london, you are in my black book.....
                  Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                    Franco I noticed you sneaking in with a short veiled attack on east london, you are in my black book.....
                    Like in the All Blacks???

Don't take it personally. East London would have been very convenient for me at the moment. I just can't figure out a reason to live there.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

because you get loads for your money. I can't send out pics of my flat for you (for security reasons ) but if you knew what you get for £200 a week (shared between 2 people, am talking large 2 bedroom flat here).

Recently I went to visit lots of other places in London and I was so disappointed by the standard of flats I saw. My flatmate and I had a look around because we wanted a better area (I will grant you that East London is quite poor in many respects) but we were not ready to compromise THAT much in terms of floor space, furnishings, tidiness, and just the general state of the places which was at best average at worst never maintained and crumbling apart. Obviously we didn't want to go much further north than £300 a week for a 2 bedroom so we realised after a month searching to just forget it. We'll stay where we are, in a great flat in a tulip location, and let others live in a tulip flat in a great location. These are basically the 2 options!
                      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X