• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AmEx platinum cashback card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miffy View Post
    I'll second that. I use my Amex for everything. Even the local co-op takes Amex now.

I can't think of anywhere I've not been able to use it. The cash back is great and is why I have one!
    I'll third that.

I use mine for virtually everything, have had no problems abroad, and the only place that wouldn't take it is my local pub back here.

Mine's a charge card so the only times I wont use it is if I am spending so much that I won't be paying it off in one go. That doesn't happen very often, I'm a contractor after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
      and in France they'll laugh in your face if you try using an Amex card
      Well they're very easily amused are the French. They'll laugh if you wear a tight white jumper and pretend you're stuck in an invisible box.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
        Well they're very easily amused are the French. They'll laugh if you wear a tight white jumper and pretend you're stuck in an invisible box.
        He's stuck in a real box now!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          Cheers my dears.

Next question: Because AmEx isn't universally welcomed, I'm going to put in for a visa too.

If I apply for them both in quick succession will I seem like a desperate-for-credit slag and get turned down? I've never asked for much credit before

What's the best strategy?
          Too many applications too close together will likely result in a rejection.

Have a look here for the best approach

http://www.stoozing.com
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I recently asked for my credit limit to be increased on my Egg Money card and was refused as I was a bad risk.

I asked for a credit limit increase because I was about to go over it - i.e. it wasn't good enough for 1 month's spending ....

I have always paid off my balance in full every month and run 2 cards - 1 for business and 1 for personal use.

So I applied for a Barclaycard Cashback Platinum for personal use and an Amex Platinum Business - and got both with good credit limits - and good rates of cashback.

So the Egg Money card is now safely stashed in the safe to never be used again.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
              I recently asked for my credit limit to be increased on my Egg Money card and was refused as I was a bad risk.

I asked for a credit limit increase because I was about to go over it - i.e. it wasn't good enough for 1 month's spending ....

I have always paid off my balance in full every month and run 2 cards - 1 for business and 1 for personal use.

So I applied for a Barclaycard Cashback Platinum for personal use and an Amex Platinum Business - and got both with good credit limits - and good rates of cashback.

So the Egg Money card is now safely stashed in the safe to never be used again.
              The Egg Money card is the stoozers favourite weapon. It's a super balance transfer card meaning you can use it to route 0% borrowed money into your savings accounts. There is also a loophole where transferred money gains the 1% cashback which can mount up to £200 being paid for nothing.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
              X