• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fag breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    10 minutes every hour can add up to 2 hours a day on top of lunch - just for being a smoker.

You're suggesting that the time people spend going out for cigarettes equates to the time non smokers spend chatting and surfing?

And the smokers don't do that as well?
    Every 2 hours you are allowed a break of 20 minutes. That's by law in most countries. How you spend it is up to you. Beside, I'd never work in a company that it's timing what people are doing. It means that they have no clue on how to check the effectiveness of their employees.

* 2 hours of total break???? that means you must work 12 hours then if you take 10 mins an hour? Oh well out of a 12 hours work day you certainly take 2 hours off. If not, your brain will anyway.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      Every 2 hours you are allowed a break of 20 minutes. That's by law in most countries. How you spend it is up to you. Beside, I'd never work in a company that it's timing what people are doing. It means that they have no clue on how to check the effectiveness of their employees.

* 2 hours of total break???? that means you must work 12 hours then if you take 10 mins an hour? Oh well out of a 12 hours work day you certainly take 2 hours off. If not, your brain will anyway.
      I know that by law you are entitled to breaks but it's been something I've noticed in a few places is that smokers have breaks that non smokers don't take.

I had to go to the bank the other day and when I asked if it was OK I got frowned at (had to be there before 12 am so couldn't do it at lunch time). I justified it by saying "It will take me about as long as it does for a smoker to go to the lift, take it down to the ground floor, smoke a cigarette, then come back" to which clientco said "Oh yeah fine"

I don't go to the bank once every hour but maybe I will if I'm entitled to. Although somehow I think I won't be not being a permie and all.

What I'm curious about is as a contractor do you take fag breaks, and if so how many and do you amend your timesheet accordingly?

Does the client just let you do it?

How do the non-smoker permies feel about it? I hear permies complain about other permies taking smoke breaks so how must they feel when you do it?

The 2 hours thing was a mistake on my part - I meant 1h and 20 mins (10 mins every hour x8) oops
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
        No, t'is a filthy habit...
        WHS
        That boy go raaaaaaa
        Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by El_Diablo View Post
          WHS

What have W H Smiths got to do with it?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            What have W H Smiths got to do with it?
            Who said anything about WH Smith?
            That boy go raaaaaaa
            Copyright (C) BabyBear1 - with thanks to VF for hosting

Comment

Originally posted by BA to the Stars View Post
              Hello sailor - oh you mean cigarettes

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              I was in Alabhama and I said I was going outside to smoke a fag. They treated me like some sort of hero!
              TLG - Tea just came out of my nose then
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

"What he said" sounds wrong, is it actually English or some sad Americanism?

The kids of today like innit!
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

...I had to go to the bank the other day and when I asked if it was OK I got frowned at (had to be there before 12 am so couldn't do it at lunch time).

If I need to do something like that I tell the client, I don't ask. You're not a permie FFS.
                  Last edited by kali; 14 May 2008, 10:48.
                  Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
                  "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
                  Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

What I'm curious about is as a contractor do you take fag breaks, and if so how many and do you amend your timesheet accordingly?

Does the client just let you do it?
                    I'm off the ciggies at the moment, but I used to smoke when I was at a previous place a couple of years ago. The company had notices posted up decreeing when fag breaks could be taken - one break between 10-10.30am and one break between 2.30-3pm (plus lunchbreak, obviously). Anyway, us contractors who smoked made a point of completely ignoring that rule and going whenever we felt like it. That was probably once every 1 1/2hrs on average, maybe less, so it didn't actually make a difference, it was just the principle of the thing.

It's up to non-smokers to take their entitled screen breaks anyway. It's not the smokers' problem. Personally, I often take "thinking breaks" from my code. I just go for a stroll, maybe put some music on loud in the headphones, and have a little think about the best way to approach some problem or other. Don't think anyone's ever had a problem with me doing that, and I know that other people do it too. Fag breaks are good as thinking breaks too, if you're a smoker. So it should all be claimable as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Thinking breaks it is then!

Back in 10
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X