• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telegraph campaign: Fair deal for car drivers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Turion View Post
    FFS this is a petition for car drivers. S'pose you don't have one as you're a eco smelly guardian reader. P'off and go pollute another thread
    Nope, I used to read the Torygraph and still do occasionally, when I forget not to buy it on principle.

Also I drive a 3.2 litre Jag and despise vegetarians. (Not eating fish or meat must knock a good 10 points off their average IQ for a start.) Oh and I even wash occasionally
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 May 2008, 17:18.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

No problem with high fuel prices or road fund licence... tax the poor off the roads!

I simply pass the costs onto the client

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
        No problem with high fuel prices or road fund licence...

I simply pass the costs onto the client
        More BULLtulip . Rates are determined by market factors (supply /demand etc), and you obviously don't know what that means, not your actual overhead costs.

For example with 2 otherwise equal candidates, the client will normally chose the cheapest. The fact that one drives 200 miles a day, while the other has a 10 minute walk means nothings to the client. The driver will have to absorb his additional costs to be competive.

It's called CAPITALISM, so go P'off and pollute someone elses thread.

Comment

The Telegraph has launched a campaign called Fair deal for car drivers. This follows a 50 per cent increase in the amount of car-related tax since Labour came to power, taking the total to an average of £1800 a year in fuel duty, car tax, VAT on petrol and other levies.

The Telegraph is calling on Gordon Brown to scrap this autumn’s planned two pence rise in fuel duty and to abandon plans to increase vehicle excise duty next year for owners of cars registered before 2006. We also call on the Government to consider other measures to help drivers during this period of high fuel prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../07/do0710.xml
          There are too many cars and too many roads, and that's why I'm out. Can we tax 4x4's and white vans more too please?

Comment

The Telegraph has launched a campaign called Fair deal for car drivers. This follows a 50 per cent increase in the amount of car-related tax since Labour came to power, taking the total to an average of £1800 a year in fuel duty, car tax, VAT on petrol and other levies.

The Telegraph is calling on Gordon Brown to scrap this autumn’s planned two pence rise in fuel duty and to abandon plans to increase vehicle excise duty next year for owners of cars registered before 2006. We also call on the Government to consider other measures to help drivers during this period of high fuel prices.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m.../07/do0710.xml
            A pointless exercise if you ask me. If they want to reduce taxes, they will for their own reasons (e.g. to buy votes before the next election), not because people say it's what they want them to do. "If you don't like our policies, don't vote for us at the next election. Oh, and here's a load of wonga just to make sure you do vote for us. Don't worry, we'll be increasing taxes again when we're back in power". And so the cycle continues, ad nauseum.

Comment

More BULLtulip . Rates are determined by market factors (supply /demand etc), and you obviously don't know what that means, not your actual overhead costs.

For example with 2 otherwise equal candidates, the client will normally chose the cheapest. The fact that one drives 200 miles a day, while the other has a 10 minute walk means nothings to the client. The driver will have to absorb his additional costs to be competive.

Ah... so you compete with the low-cost Indian import market where the client chooses only on cost... in which case you should also be taxed off the road as not a true contractor -merely a disguised employee

Now p'off, quit breathing and stop polluting the planet with your worthless,useless, low-value existence

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post
                Ah... so you compete with the low-cost Indian import market where the client chooses only on cost... in which case you should also be taxed off the road as not a true contractor -merely a disguised employee

Now p'off, quit breathing and stop polluting the planet with your worthless,useless, low-value existence

HTH
                No, I don't compete with them, don't need to. I currently earn ££££ day running a dev team with many indians in it . They may displace losers like you, only because they're better, but they ain't that cheap either and don't dream that they can pass extraneous costs to the project.

So f'off t@sspot

Comment

Exactly, and capitalism states that the market will pay what it values a product as and no more. If people are willing to pay the tax to allow them to drive a car then they will. If not they'll not pay and have to deal with life without a car. That's market forces.

A car is not a necessity. Yes it's more convenient, and the question is how much are people prepared to pay for that convenience. Looks to me that the current tax level is below the price people put on that convenience looking at the number of cars on the road outside. Gotta love capitalism eh?
                  Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                    A car is not a necessity. Yes it's more convenient, and the question is how much are people prepared to pay for that convenience. Looks to me that the current tax level is below the price people put on that convenience looking at the number of cars on the road outside. Gotta love capitalism eh?
                    I agree - I have two, one purely for fun, and it's still not all that expensive when you look at the big picture. I could live with it being more expensive yet if it pushed all the plebs onto public transport and made the roads clearer for me.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

No, I don't compete with them, don't need to. I currently earn ££££ day running a dev team with many indians in it . They may displace losers like you, only because they're better, but they ain't that cheap either and don't dream that they can pass extraneous costs to the project.

So f'off t@sspot
                      So you selected your team on cheapness... plenty quality now please do the needfull...did you have a choice in the matter or were you 'instructed' to do so?

Boss man obviously not going to allow you to pass on any increases in fuel taxes.. better get yourself a bike or get off my roads

Comment

Working...
                      X