• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Estate agents "suffering" in current economic climate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    I doubt it, eurofighter software is a bit of a closed market...
    Don't the Russians want it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Don't the Russians want it?
      To go in what? It's a closed system, knowing how the software works isn't going to help them much.

Knowing what frequency the radar is on might be a bit more useful.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I bet I could sell all the crap you build better than you could
        Dodgy!!! That is almost actionable.
        How so? I don't sell it. I build customised software to the clients requirement. It is sold once the contract is signed as long as it meets the spec.

I dont know the radar freqs or the weapons settings either.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Dodgy!!! That is almost actionable.
          How so? I don't sell it. I build customised software to the clients requirement. It is sold once the contract is signed as long as it meets the spec.

I dont know the radar freqs or the weapons settings either.
          You are still not a profession
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Agreed. It's a trade. Sometimes highly skilled, and sometimes highly paid, but nevertheless, a trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
              Agreed. It's a trade. Sometimes highly skilled, and sometimes highly paid, but nevertheless, a trade.
              I dont think you can call it a trade even.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

A blag rather than a trade as in "safe blaggers".

Comment

profession, n.
                  7. a. An occupation in which a professed knowledge of some subject, field, or science is applied; a vocation or career, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification. Also occas. as mass noun: occupations of this kind.

trade, n.
                  5. a. The practice of some occupation, business, or profession habitually carried on, esp. when practised as a means of livelihood or gain; a calling; formerly used very widely, including professions; now usually applied to a mercantile occupation and to a skilled handicraft, as distinct from a profession (PROFESSION 6a), and spec. restricted to a skilled handicraft, as distinguished from a professional or mercantile occupation on the one hand, and from unskilled labour on the other. in trade, following a mercantile occupation, spec. that of a shop-keeper.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I think I can.

Comment

You are still not a profession
                      I think that is part of a much wider problem. We should be.
                      I have a degree in an engineering discipline and I apply that knowledge when performing my work. I have acquired years of on the job knowledge.

Maybe profession is beyond us as software engineers, but I feel that chartered status should be available and be required as a must have to perform some functions.

I am constantly amazed by some of the people who work on software for systems that could kill hundreds should they fail. Let alone the people who have developed (or failed to develop) the failed government projects that have cost billions.

Can you imagine the uproar if a bridge collapsed and you found out that the engineering team had no quals and weren't chartered?

Yet it is still acceptable to hire software developers who have learned to write software by "playing" with it.

Oooooh, went off on one then...........................
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X