• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I being unwise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    I think "PC Guys" have got your market covered.
    I prefer to think of them as a minor competitor

Geek Squad, Dell's Presto, and PC World's Tech Guys are more credible with more experience.

Fortunately most people have only heard of PC World, and then they're only really aware of their counter service. Most people don't want to hump a PC all the way to their nearest PC World.

I'm looking to build on people who want someone local who knows what they're talking about and gives them great customer service. I can outperform the average £20k a year PC engineer in pretty much every area.

People have a slight distrust of the bigger players & I reckon they'll take to a friendly local guy.

Comment

Originally posted by noob View Post
      People have a slight distrust of the bigger players & I reckon they'll take to a friendly local guy.
      I think you're wrong here - were I a novice I'd want the backing of a big player, not the promise of some chap around the corner. YMMV.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I think you're wrong here - were I a novice I'd want the backing of a big player, not the promise of some chap around the corner. YMMV.
        WHS

Anecdotal evidence from people I know is that they try and find someone in their circle to fix the problem then go to a big player.

The wealthier people I know have a habit of using their company/employers' resources to fix their computer problems.

Your business is really dependent on word of mouth.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Depends on the chap around your corner I guess

I think people split into roughly two groups, some prefer a big company, some don't. A lot of the people I speak to (middle to retirement age, the market I'm aiming for) about this kind of thing vastly prefer to have someone recommended and to stick to them in future. The big companies provide a rather impersonal service, and people often want more than that.

If they've been recommended a local person, and have a number sitting in front of them, then they're much more likely to give that person a call than fire up Google to look for a local pc repairer.

Comment

Personally, I think your posts are displaying a certain naivety.

It won't work.

Try another plan b.

Comment

Depends on the chap around your corner I guess

I think people split into roughly two groups, some prefer a big company, some don't. A lot of the people I speak to (middle to retirement age, the market I'm aiming for) about this kind of thing vastly prefer to have someone recommended and to stick to them in future. The big companies provide a rather impersonal service, and people often want more than that.

If they've been recommended a local person, and have a number sitting in front of them, then they're much more likely to give that person a call than fire up Google to look for a local pc repairer.
              So basically you're looking to do a rogue traders impression on technically stupid old people

Comment

they're much more likely to give that person a call than fire up Google to look for a local pc repairer.
                With their broken PC...
                B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Your business is really dependent on word of mouth.
                  I shall be making full use of that of course. Have lined up several things which should get that kicked off & will be using the leaflets as well.

I'm not looking to get rich doing this, just get a very modest amount of money out of it to keep the wolf from the door while I try to get a contract.

There's a low investment required to get going as I have all the kit I need, and all the knowledge etc, so mainly it's the cost of a bit of marketing plus my time in putting my face about & building goodwill etc. And while I'm stuck at home not earning anyway, I might as well be giving this a go.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    So basically you're looking to do a rogue traders impression on technically stupid old people

Comment

I'm not looking to get rich doing this, just get a very modest amount of money out of it to keep the wolf from the door while I try to get a contract.

There's a low investment required to get going as I have all the kit I need, and all the knowledge etc, so mainly it's the cost of a bit of marketing plus my time in putting my face about & building goodwill etc. And while I'm stuck at home not earning anyway, I might as well be giving this a go.
                      So, let me get this right, as soon as you get a contract you're going to ditch all of your loyal customers?

Amateur!

Comment

Working...
                      X