• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle class guilt for Snaw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    So have you had any success out there DA?
    Yes, I've got a lock up just on the Austro/Swiss border
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Yes, I've got a lock up just on the Austro/Swiss border
      Family home sort of thing. With cellar?
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
        Middle class guilt imo is a term thrown around by tory voting, middle class people who can't understand why someone from their social group doesn't vote the same way they do.

Well clearly it isnt is it? if you read the girlie guardian writer she is a leftie who goes into great detail about this self serving patronising counter-productive attitude that is o prevalent in so many middle class hypocrites.
        Just because it is a term thrown around does not invalidate the argument does it snaw?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Family home sort of thing. With cellar?

And an indoor toilit

Comment

Hating Thatcher is a pretty general characteristic for anyone who came from a working class background then. And why not, she devastated the community I grew up in. The community I grew up in (Inc me, and my family) personally were impacted by many of her policies.
            That's funny, because my old man came from a non-working, benefits consuming, traditional labour voting family in Downham, London (like Peckham, but without the class) that as a community hated Thatcher and all she did and he went to the local state school, left early and got himself a job in a printing company.

He spent many years going to night school and got his qualifications and with 2 other partners, risked and borrowed heavily with the bank and bought a litho machine and started to compete with Harrisons and the Royal Mail to make a name for himself in the security printing industry.

He hated Labour, for their supertax, their lack of enterprise and their stifling regulations and their obsession with destroying wealth creation.

He eventually ended up having one of the worlds most successful security printing companies - partly helped by the fiscal policies of the government during the mid to late 80s.

He hated labour and their ridiculous ideologies that simply stifled wealth creation. And yet his family still berated him for not being true to his working class roots and at one point told him never to contact them.

He supported his family, his charities, the local hospice, his workforce and to this day, has never given me a penny in "benefits". All he has given me, is the desire to do well for myself and my family, which is what I am doing.

I'm sure you could make excuses for your position in life and blame Thatcher, and blame her and her policies for after 20 years that have destroyed everything, but some people did make something of their lives after this, despite the peer pressure.

I think it comes down to attitude: life is tulip, tulip happens, and there will be two types of people: those that are prepared to make sacrifices for their family and make something of their lives, and those that can't be arsed and will look to the state.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

This is an interesting, and it seems to me, a very British thread.

There seems to be a need in our culture to classify people and assign characteristics to them and "their kind". This, of course, makes it easier to write off anyone's opinion, call them names and make unfounded allegations about the kind of things they stand for and the ruin that their ideas foist upon the rest of us right-thinking folk.

The trouble is, as evidenced by some of the responses on here, real life ain't like that.

People have a huge range of reasons for behaving in a particular way, including voting. One argument I often have with a bloke on his blog is with his sneering at rich people. He seems to think (because he's a chippy leftie*) that being rich automatically means your opinion is worthless. That's plainly nonsense. However, if that's nonsense, then I'm afraid that so is the concept of middle class guilt and the idea that disliking Thatcher is in some way hypocritical.

The fact is that plenty of people from plenty of backgrounds didn't (and don't) support Thatcher and her ideology (such as it is), and plenty of people did and do - and maybe a few people have changed their view from one side to the other.

Some of my best friends were (and are) Thatcher lovers, and some aren't - but I don't write them off because I think their view of her is misguided.

*see- I typed that without even thinking about it!
              Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 30 April 2008, 17:24.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                I think it comes down to attitude: life is tulip, tulip happens, and there will be two types of people: those that are prepared to make sacrifices for their family and make something of their lives, and those that can't be arsed and will look to the state.
                eh? You imply that people who have voted labour sit on benefits, and make nothing out of their lives. That's simply not true. I have members of my family who vote for both Conservative and Labour, none of them claim state benefits and none of them are failures, who you vote for does not dictate what you do with your life.

The story you told doesn't seem to ring true, if your parents are of a similar age to mine i.e late 60s 70s benefits didn't exist when they were young, moreover it was a situation of full employment where you could walk out of a job on a Friday and easily have a new one for the Monday.

The Conservatives have long had a strong working class support as the Labour party have also had a strong middle class support, therefore prejudice of character by voting patterns can be meaningless
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post

I'm sure you could make excuses for your position in life and blame Thatcher, and blame her and her policies for after 20 years that have destroyed everything, but some people did make something of their lives after this, despite the peer pressure.

If only life was really that simple - only two types of people eh?

Interesting, too since it appears from this and some of DA's posts I can either:

Be a useless dole-monger but can't blame any of my misfortune on Thatcher, or

Make a wonderful success of my life in the fabulous free market paradise that she created but be a hypocrite for not liking her and her policies.

I'm really not sure what is the best option here........

Comment

No wonder DA loves Thatcher so much, expansion of the service industry,at the top someone making money off somone else's effort for adding no value, bank handers, closed shops

Now what is it DodgyAgent does again?
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Well clearly it isnt is it? if you read the girlie guardian writer she is a leftie who goes into great detail about this self serving patronising counter-productive attitude that is o prevalent in so many middle class hypocrites.
                      Just because it is a term thrown around does not invalidate the argument does it snaw?
                      Actually having just read the article (oops) I think it backs up my point if anything. There's a certain brand of lefty that I can't abide, the kind described in that article. Equally there's a certain brand of right wing nut job I equally can't abide.

The person you're describing is the sort of person I remember meeting as a student who'd bang on abot the working classes but had never actually met them or really understood them in any kind of meaningful way.

For sure they exist, but they're not the norm in my experience. I know plenty of working class peole who've done well. I move in different circles these days and know many middle class people (Most of my frineds if I'm honest) who equally don't fit that template. In fact I'd say that's an exception to the norm.

Having a social conscience, doesn't mean I must be carrying around some sort of guilt, just because I've moved social status. Anything but. Just means I spent my childhood seing things from a diffrent perspective, the underdogs one if you want. That tends to influence your outlook on life, and I'd be worried if it didn't. I'm proud of where I came from and for me it makes me stronger than most of my peers, conceited, but hey it's true in my world view.

Your problem is you seem to see the world in black and white. Take the person referenced in your article, patronsing doesn't come close. Working class people probably hate them more than you do, but for you that's representative of every left wing middle class person who's not part of your world view. Sorry but it's just not true, not in my world anyway. I dislike em as much as you do.

And btw, for the record I've never voted labour ;-)
                      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Working...
                      X