• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speculating on land

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

I suppose it is easier for you to try and make fun of me here than it is to answer the perfectly reasonable question I pm'd you.
    No I can't marry you
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
      It's been done (being done) lots already. Google 'Landbanking'
      Interesting google,

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Library/..._banking.shtml
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

IIRC there was one operating around Essex/Suffolk/Cambs border selling agricultural land at exhorbant prices. Land with bob hope of ever getting planning permission.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I understand its to do with Inheritance Tax.

People are buying land because there is no Inheritance Tax on 'land'.

Thus the price of 'land' has doubled recently.

Fuedal Law raises its ugly head once again.

Comment

From what I've seen of the planning system, you need to factor in the cost of a planning consultant who knows how to play political parties off against each other and who to bribe.

Another good ploy is to buy land adjacent to some owned by the council, then apply for permission to develop the lot - the pound signs start to flash before their eyes (all that money we could use to prosecute people who overfill their wheelie bins!) and you're away.

Unfortunately, you're in the queue behind multinationals and supermarkets.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

Another good ploy is to buy land adjacent to some owned by the council, then apply for permission to develop the lot - the pound signs start to flash before their eyes

I don't see how you could think that this has an effect.

The people making the decisions are the elected representatives. They have no chance of personally benefitting because the LA makes a profit on a bit of land that it owns, and every chance of being elected out of office if the building that they agree to is unpopular with masses.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I have (another) daft idea.

I buy land that has no planning permission for residential property.

I apply agressively for planning permission (outline).

If agreed I sell at a profit (large).

If not I resell the land on at cost and try again.

e.g.

http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6796
                http://www.uklanddirectory.org.uk/la...le.asp?id=6167

Genius or cretin?
                Why bother with all that fuss? The planning system is corrupt to the core and you'll literally risk not only your money, but your life... So why not talk to someone like Persimmon, and get land they've already got permission for, but aren't going to build on for the foreseeable future?
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post

I suppose it is easier for you to try and make fun of me here than it is to answer the perfectly reasonable question I pm'd you.
                  Bunny boiler stalker alert
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

The people making the decisions are the elected representatives. They have no chance of personally benefitting because the LA makes a profit on a bit of land that it owns, and every chance of being elected out of office if the building that they agree to is unpopular with masses.

tim
                    Yes, but the officers also have delegated powers don't they. The committee will usually pay any going though on delegated little if any attention. It is only where officers have refused that it will normally be heard by the committee.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post

tim
                      Except the elected representatives are ignorant donkeys with appropriate colour rosettes who rely on the council officers to make recommendations. They are also always scared that anyone they turn down may appeal which costs the council a lot of money. On the whole, it is easier for the council to say yes.

As for idea that they don't have any opportunity for personal gain - officially that is true of course, in practise things are rather different.

As for the laughable idea that any local councillors might be deposed at a future poll due to unpopular planning decisions, that would presuppose anyone cares, and on the evidence of turnout figures, they clearly do not.

My view of the planning system is based on considerable personal experience and having been married to woman who worked as an officer of a LA for many years.

Comment

Working...
                      X