• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting helps you to really know yourself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose i'm a bit of a loner/anti-social type... well not superficially. Superficially I'm very outgoing. I'm the guy who chats to everyone and strikes up conversations.

Spent the last few years on-site in "hostile territory" mostly. Ok not hostile but very much the highly paid outsider who a great deal is expected of and must deliver rather than one of the merry team. It is hard.

Now working from home since January. Completely alone.

Love it sometimes, get cabin fever sometimes.

Sometimes I'm up and about fitting in the gym, team sports, volunteering with community groups.... sometimes I can't be bothered for days on end and just quit human contact.

I think you need balance... and I'm not great at balance!
    Last edited by DieScum; 22 April 2008, 10:23. Reason: typo

Comment

Worrying

To think that the only 'human' contact and 'friends' some here have is through this forum - scary!
      Never seen so many - what can only describe as suicidal thoughts! Some of the guys in need of a few 'happy pills'!

Comment

"Contracting helps you to really know yourself" - in the biblical sense?

Comment

Learning to contract yourself is the greatest contract of all.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            True, contracting is not something anyone can do, and you'll either get used to it, or you'll have a psychotic episode.

permanent employment

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              Now working from home since January. Completely alone.

Love it sometimes, get cabin fever sometimes.
              Four years working from home, sometimes days without seeing another human being. Cabin fever - oh yes but the flexibility is excellent (late starts, late nights).

Pub tonight

Comment

most people's existences are made up of the 9-5 grind, and they are so caught up in this that they don't question this with any real vigour.
                I think you're right. My existence is dominated by the 9-5 grind too, but at least I've always been painfully aware that it's a bizarre temporary anomaly on the anthropological scale.

Comment

Working...
                X