• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do with all my money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    I have loads of stocks all over the place that I'll be selling imminently. Not because I believe in impending doom, just because I don't think there'll be much upward movement in them for a good few years, by which time I'll want to buy a house.

What's the safest thing to do with it? I am thinking keep 1/2 in GBP savings accounts (no more than £30k per bank because that's the Government bail-out limit!) and 1/2 in a multi-currency money market fund...(umm...except the only one I know is Investec Managed Currency).

Any better ideas?

Fantasist Alert.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post

Fantasist Alert.
      Jealousy is a terrible thing. Btw, did you manage to borrow that £5k?

Comment

Any better ideas?
        Burn it - it will set you free.

Alternatively, post it in large denomination used notes in a Jiffy bag to:

Mr C D Bogey
        Bogey Towers
        Alton
        Hampshire

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto View Post
          I'm also at a loss to what to do with all my spare cash.
          Do I go for a Mars bar, or a Snickers?
          still a marathon in my book

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, especially the 4 sensible ones.

CGT - thanks, actually I hadn't considered it. But it's mostly several years' worth of ISAs, tax free, and the other gains won't go massively above the threshold. So I don't think it's a problem.

Krugerrands - I did look into that, lover of shiny things as I am - as a potential Christening present. I thought the baby might appreciate having some foul weather assets to see him into the next century. But then saw that they were at £450 a pop so he got a Beatrix Potter tea-set instead.

Blaster & Luke (hope you don't mind me lumping you together: your advice is the same even though your reasoning is a bit different)-
            it doesn't feel like a slump to me! FTSE 100 is 2000 points above its 5-year low, and about 700 below its 5-year high. Having bought most of my stuff since 2003 it feels more like the crest of a wave. For sure different people have different time horizons but I just want to play it safe over the next 3-4 years.
            Like yours Blaster, my portfolio (about 50% asian, 25%UK, 25% European equities) does seem to have gone up about 1% today (and yesterday), but that just makes me want to sell even more. It doesn't count till it's cashed out does it?

Oh - actually I forgot about some other stuff I've got in guaranteed capital trackers (i.e. the things the experts say not to bother with, but I've been treating them as cash in bank, that's my excuse). I can't sell them, so I'll still be in the shares game in some way.

HRH-don't worry - one man's "loads" is another man's "not very much". We're all allowed to dream aren't we?

Comment

I have loads of stocks all over the place that I'll be selling imminently. Not because I believe in impending doom, just because I don't think there'll be much upward movement in them for a good few years, by which time I'll want to buy a house.

What's the safest thing to do with it? I am thinking keep 1/2 in GBP savings accounts (no more than £30k per bank because that's the Government bail-out limit!) and 1/2 in a multi-currency money market fund...(umm...except the only one I know is Investec Managed Currency).

Any better ideas?
              get divorced?

Comment

Working...
              X