• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prince2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bear View Post
    It really is a CV thing, gets you to more interviews. The best PM's tend to be able to pick elements from a methodology and apply the relevant ones to the project without swamping the project with process and paperwork.

The foundation level of Prince II is dead easy, get the book, read it , take the exam - it's multi choice and took me 35 mins to complete.

The practitioner takes a bit more effort and you need to use a project you are/have been working on in your studies.

Depends what roles you are going for as to which to get. But get the foundation anyway - then decide.
    ^^WHS^^
    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Sounds good. What book, and where do you take the exam (on the cheap)?
      This is the book

As for the exam - you need to do a search. I would but I have a meeting to go to.
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

NEVER heard of Prince2?

Originally posted by HRH View Post
        Is it just a project management process? I have been offered a perm role as a junior PM where I would get this qualification/training.
        I conclude that they must have run out of PMs at your place

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
          This is the book

As for the exam - you need to do a search. I would but I have a meeting to go to.
          Thanks.

http://www.ilxgroup.com/prince2-course-list.asp
          does the exams for £99, but dependent on buying and taking of a computer based training course too. All seems a bit too $kerching$ for my liking from searching so far.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Thanks.

http://www.ilxgroup.com/prince2-course-list.asp
            does the exams for £99, but dependent on buying and taking of a computer based training course too. All seems a bit too $kerching$ for my liking from searching so far.
            If it helps to up your rate from £350 a day to £450+ a day, it's not that expensive is it? You should be thinking how you compete in the longer term if you're serious about running your own business.
            If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Yep, useful CV tool. Some contract requirements state it as mandatory and agents search on it (so, if you haven't got it, put it in your CV anyway using white letters so you'll come up in any CV search).

It's little more than yet another documentation set and project structure guideline but that sort of stuff is blindingly obvious to any PM with experience anyway.

I don't have it yet despite doing this stuff for years (too busy doing it to get the piece of paper that proves I can do it). My wife is a 'Practitioner' and has never managed a project in her life. The girl who does the project admin on one of the projects where I am currently is also a 'Practitioner'.

I'd say if you're on the bench and have a bit of spare time and fancy doing a course, it's probably worth doing. I wouldn't be taking any time off to do it where I could be earning instead though.
              Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Thanks very much for all your help. If I was to not take the role and study Prince2 off my own back, how long would it take me/how much would it cost to do?

Comment

sorry just seen the link. How technically minded do you have to be? My main skills are as a manger at the moment, I have a solid understanding of Connectivity, hosting, network security-i.e I can talk the talk but not necessarily walk the walk if you know what I mean!

Comment

Misguided advice

Alf, unlike a lot of other qualifications, all the names of those that have passed the Prince2 exam at F/P level are held in a database which can be accessed by anyone. So I wouldn't advise anyone to be 'creative' as a client can easily check and boot out any 'imposters'.

Comment

Originally posted by HRH View Post
                      sorry just seen the link. How technically minded do you have to be? My main skills are as a manger at the moment, I have a solid understanding of Connectivity, hosting, network security-i.e I can talk the talk but not necessarily walk the walk if you know what I mean!
                      we know that

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X