• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ground source heat pumps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Has anyone installed one or live in a house with one ?

Would be very interested to hear how you rate them - please PM me.

Cheers.
    They are a good option if you can't get mains gas. They are cheaper to run than LPG or oil, but there are a number of variables to consider.

I had a quote and I would have needed 3 x 50 metres of trench, with a gap of 2 metres between each trench. This would have occupied the majority of the garden. Bore holeing or compact panels for the ground loop array are expensive alternatives.

If you are using underfloor heating throughout, you've got the room for the slinky, you can't get mains gas, and you have a good electricity supply, get on Economy 7 or 10 and use it throughout the night. They will then be cheaper to run than oil. Try to avoid radiators as they usually need to be 33-50% bigger to deal with the lower water temps.

The idea is to prevent it power cycling too much during the day as they can be pretty juicy, no one likes their lights dimming either.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugnut View Post
      They are a good option if you can't get mains gas. They are cheaper to run than LPG or oil, but there are a number of variables to consider.

I had a quote and I would have needed 3 x 50 metres of trench, with a gap of 2 metres between each trench. This would have occupied the majority of the garden. Bore holeing or compact panels for the ground loop array are expensive alternatives.

If you are using underfloor heating throughout, you've got the room for the slinky, you can't get mains gas, and you have a good electricity supply, get on Economy 7 or 10 and use it throughout the night. They will then be cheaper to run than oil. Try to avoid radiators as they usually need to be 33-50% bigger to deal with the lower water temps.

The idea is to prevent it power cycling too much during the day as they can be pretty juicy, no one likes their lights dimming either.
      If you want cheap underfloor heating get an upper floor floor flat. Make it South facing flat with large windows if you want even lower heating bills. And paint walls black if you like it really hot or want to sell excess heat.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        If you want cheap underfloor heating get an upper floor floor flat. Make it South facing flat with large windows if you want even lower heating bills. And paint walls black if you like it really hot or want to sell excess heat.
        I plan to solve my heating issues by moving somewhere hot.

Comment

Working...
        X