• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What type of Olden Days warrior are you ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's the Amazon option?
    It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Viking me, well staying at home waiting for the guys to get back with all their booty and saxon slaves.

Talking about swords and sorcery, I saw Beowulf the other day and feel a bit dumb now as it took me a while to work out what it was really about.

Am I right in thinking the golden horn represented power, and whoever took possession of it ended up sleeping with the demon to beget a monster symbolizing the monstrous excesses unbridled power can produce?

On that assumption, Grendel was the offspring of the demon and the first king (voice over by Anthony Hopkins), which would explain why Grendel didn't kill the king, and why the king seemed vague and evasive about Grendel's father, and why he topped himself on learning that Grendel was dead and/or after handing the golden horn to Beowulf.

To avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen the film, I won't describe the ending. But that also seems consistent with this theme.

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        tea lady

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
          Viking me, well staying at home waiting for the guys to get back with all their booty and saxon slaves.

Talking about swords and sorcery, I saw Beowulf the other day and feel a bit dumb now as it took me a while to work out what it was really about.

Am I right in thinking the golden horn represented power, and whoever took possession of it ended up sleeping with the demon to beget a monster symbolizing the monstrous excesses unbridled power can produce?

On that assumption, Grendel was the offspring of the demon and the first king (voice over by Anthony Hopkins), which would explain why Grendel didn't kill the king, and why the king seemed vague and evasive about Grendel's father, and why he topped himself on learning that Grendel was dead and/or after handing the golden horn to Beowulf.

To avoid spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen the film, I won't describe the ending. But that also seems consistent with this theme.
          Er! is the ending the same as the ancient legend?
          Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            Camp follower ?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              tea lady
              ....sorry, I couldn't use () as it's been taken over by CM....

but you're right, I'll push the tea trolley round the battlefield collecting all the booty from the dead warriors as long as I get to use my katana occasionally.....
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Roman, well Italian at least (from the slums of Napoli)

Comment

Er! EO, What's A Mogngol

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    Er! EO, What's A Mogngol
                    a dyslexic window licker ?

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                      Er! is the ending the same as the ancient legend?
                      I'd guess the film extrapolates the original poem, as this was only about 800 lines long if memory serves.

Comment

Working...
                      X