• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's it like up north anyway?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The girls up north say yes and the girls down south say no. Statistically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Apparently one cannot even get wholmeal pasta up there - and some cafes dont even do a latte.

yes brillo your right, you can't get neither a latte or wholemeal pasta.. we are due to get something called electricity aswell next year, should be fun..

Apparently you can't get Barm Cakes or Chips n Gravy in london??
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

it's awful.

Stay out, no matter what you do.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I like it up here - I love Manchester...

London is too big - too many people
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Less chance of being stabbed after 8pm at night on the way to local shops.

A one milllion pound house means you live in a one million pound house sort of area...

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Sssssssh!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

You can tell you grew up in a small place
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

yes brillo your right, you can't get neither a latte or wholemeal pasta.. we are due to get something called electricity aswell next year, should be fun..

Apparently you can't get Barm Cakes or Chips n Gravy in london??
                  Hmm! Latte pasta
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                    I like it.

The city (in my case Manchester) has everything I need 24hrs a day and lots of choice, bars restaurants museums etc. i live 15-20mins drive or 30 mins bus out of the centre and the area i live has a very village feel to it (closest ive seen in London is Greenwich) so I dont feel like life is busy city hectic but its close enough to get to if I want.

There's the penine's 30 mins drive away, the lake district about 1hr away and north wales about 90 mins away so getting out of "city life" is easy.

To me the people seem to be the major difference between north and south. There's much more of a local or community (if thats the best word to describe it) feel even when in the city, it doesnt feel like you live your life in a bubble containing you and those with you. Both good and bad i know but people talk to each other, even if they've never met, taxi drivers talk to you, nutters talk to you on the bus, it doesnt feel like your invisible and just another statistic in the rat race.

EDIT: It doesnt feel like everyone in the bar/restaurant/shop your in are competing with each other for whatever reason, people seem more at ease just being who they are and not worrying about trying to impress.

Thats only based on visiting london for business purposes, im sure living there is very different.
                    Wot he said

plus the airport works

and you don't get charged just for daring to use the public roads to drive into the city
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I lived darn sarf for 6 years, It's not that much different except we have less traffic jams and we talk to each other more, we are on the whole a friendlier bunch. The reason is probably that the south east is full of souless commuter towns where the population turns over on a regular basis. I got fed up of living in one and have not regretted moving back quality of life wise. If I were ever to move back I couldn't live in one of those places again, I'd have to live in the city.

But.. This is a very small country it's ridiculous to pretend somewhere 2-3 hours away by car or train is markedly different, in the way some like to pretend. It never ceases to amase me that there are some people living down south who know this country and it's history so poorly i.e. never been to the lakes, never been to historic cities like York. Yet the same people are only too willing to dismiss anything north of Watford.
                      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                      X