• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Card Fraud - Like this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The bank, the police and the government will call this identity theft which is the scourge of the modern age and not their fault at all.
    It will not be regarded as theft or fraud as those crimes would have to appear on official figures and we dont want the crime rate going up do we.

Chip and pin was pushed through on its security benefits.
    I have been asking for years how a simple four figure pin is more secure than a signature or a more complex system involving pictures.

I know signatues can be forged, but it is a lot harder to do than just nicking a pin.
    The government already does call this Identity theft and uses it as a justification for ID cards - despite the fact that ID cards are of no possible value at all against cardholder not present frauds.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      The government already does call this Identity theft and uses it as a justification for ID cards - despite the fact that ID cards are of no possible value at all against cardholder not present frauds.

And there's little to protect ID cards from the same kind of identity theft that's been going on since identities were recorded.

The worrying thing is like Sue Ellen says, it just gives the governments and authorities/banks an excuse to shift responsibility onto the public because it's a difficult and expensive problem to solve, so they don't intend to.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

The problem is you can't rely 100% on technology to solve your fraud problems you have to use a bit of social engineering.

For example before chip and pin was introduced one shopping centre (can't remember which one) had an agreement with all the retailers in the shopping centre that everytime someone used a card they left a thumb print on the shops copy of the receipt. They found the amount of fraudenlent transactions went down to 0 within a month. (Fingerprints are only about 80% accurate)

I also use to have a signature and photo card like some of my friends. None of us had that particular card used fraudently.

Unfortunately most online companies seem to be carp at this and don't even take simple precautions.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Unfortunately most online companies seem to be carp at this and don't even take simple precautions.
          Online companies are supposed to implement a specification from the merchants. Visa's version is called 3-D secure something or other well I think that's what it's called. Amusingly if you go to the site for a copy of the spec. it'll tell you the certificate is invalid. Which tells me just how serious they are to stop all this.

Anyways, the upshot is that it's really expensive to do correctly, so most online e-tailers don't bother.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

For example before chip and pin was introduced one shopping centre (can't remember which one) had an agreement with all the retailers in the shopping centre that everytime someone used a card they left a thumb print on the shops copy of the receipt. They found the amount of fraudenlent transactions went down to 0 within a month. (Fingerprints are only about 80% accurate)
            I seem to remember a certain "gentleman's club" in Las Vegas requiring a thumb print if you wanted to use a credit card.*

* or so my friends tell me - I was tucked up in bed at the time
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I agree with the sentiment that Banks and Police are rarely that keen to investigate this type of fraud as they seem to see it as too much hassle.
              I once pulled a fake ATM card reader off the front of a natwest ATM in london. Some guy approached me, snatched it off me and ran off down the street with it. I rang my bank to cancel my card, rang natwest to tell them what happened ("thanks, bye") and rang the police to let them know when/where so they could investigate; they just said since I no longer had the "evidence" there's not much they could do. They knew it was happening in the area, but couldn't do much to stop it. What?! What are all these effing CCTV cameras for? Surely they could've seen who was on the street at exactly that time, got a description and kept a look out for similar looking guys in the area. Nah, bollocks to it, we'll file it under "B" for "bin, let the banks deal with it"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
                . What?! What are all these effing CCTV cameras for? Surely they could've seen who was on the street at exactly that time, got a description and kept a look out for similar looking guys in the area. Nah, bollocks to it, we'll file it under "B" for "bin, let the banks deal with it"

Haven't you learnt anything about CCTV camera's yet?

The CCTV cameras either:
                1. Didn't have tapes in them
                2. Weren't working
                3. Where pointing the wrong way
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The CCTV cameras either:
                  2. Weren't working
                  Or, where the CCTV happens to be a sync'ed array at HDTV resolution, 60 fps, recorded onto hard drives:

4. All police officers brought in for the viewing shut their eyes or turn away at precisely the moment the offences occur.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

The CCTV cameras either:
                    2. Weren't working

You're not wrong.

My parents have a CCTV system overlooking the car park near their house. One day my dad's car got vandalised so he naturally got onto the police to check the CCTV. They said it isn't switched on at weekends so nothing they can do. Unbelievable.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                      Or, where the CCTV happens to be a sync'ed array at HDTV resolution, 60 fps, recorded onto hard drives:

4. All police officers brought in for the viewing shut their eyes or turn away at precisely the moment the offences occur.
                      Or as happened to me

5. They don't have the resources to watch the tape anyway.

I naturally was not allowed to watch the tapes for them as it would prejudice any id parade.

Comment

Working...
                      X