• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phorm Petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Web server log data is not against data protection laws.
    No - I'm not on about them obtaining the data, it's what they do with it that counts. Selling on all my internet activity, tracking it all, storing it and building up a profile of me based on it, to be used to sell me stuff - is that not a little problematic?

We're into hair-splitting territory here as user tracking has been around a long time and first party cookies do a similar job, but routing all my requests from my DSL modem via a phorm box before I even get out into t'internet is more invasive. Especially as I'm opted in by default, especially if - even if I'm opted out, I'm only opted out of the 'sales' loop - my data is still being logged and there's still a phorm cookie.

Especially as all non-browser data will still be tracked. Especially as we'd have to keep opting out, repeatedly, each time our cookies are cleared, as is best practice.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      No - I'm not on about them obtaining the data, it's what they do with it that counts. Selling on all my internet activity, tracking it all, storing it and building up a profile of me based on it, to be used to sell me stuff - is that not a little problematic?
      If they remove personally identifiable information then it's not against DPA - advertising already works this way on most sites anyway, say you might as well argue that Google AdWords showing different stuff depending on your search history is against DPA? No it ain't.

I don't like Phorn and hope they burn in hell, however signing yet another petition will only devalue them - perhaps this is exactly what Nu Liebor wanted.

Comment

signing yet another petition will only devalue them
        What a weak argument - millions of petitions are out there every day. The only ones that grab any attention are the ones with the most signatures. Therefore, signing one for something you really believe in is exactly one of the things you should be doing to make a difference - if only to raise the issue's awareness in the press.

Sheesh.

Comment

Too many petitions done too easy devalue the whole thing. In fact it can have negative effect if you don't get many signatures - Phorn will point to that and say very few people object to it. And you won't get many signatures for this issue that most people don't even understand.

Solution - use anonymizer service working over SSL.

Comment

Too many petitions done too easy devalue the whole thing. In fact it can have negative effect if you don't get many signatures - Phorn will point to that and say very few people object to it. And you won't get many signatures for this issue that most people don't even understand.

Solution - use anonymizer service working over SSL.
            Erm...

Comment

Erm...
              Weren't you going out for a fag?

Comment

Weren't you going out for a fag?
                Been and come back

You alright then, resident Russian nutter?

Comment

You alright then, resident Russian nutter?
                  No - sudden deaths of my cute squirrels greatly upset me

Comment

Sounds like Google to me.
                    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                      Sounds like Google to me.
                      Google doesn't track every non-google page you browse, unless you're signed into the account, or you have the toolbar. You can always use a different search engine - for free.

Virgin media are thinking of implementing this to my IS Provision without my permission. I'm none too chuffed about this. I could always switch, sure. I may well do so.

Also - google doesn't install one of it's cookies when you browse to a.n.other site at random, the moment you open your browser.

Comment

Working...
                      X