• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remember that house near Swindon I was looking at...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top will fall but I can’t see average houses changing much while the demand is still there, a surge of BTL's sales might make a difference but then seasoned BTL'ers may well snap them up and stiffen up the market again, I predict a 10% fall maximum.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      About 5 years too early if you follow the last slump. It hasn't even started yet !
      Yup, this ain't no point to go jumping in. Hold fast young puppet, there will be bargains to be had. You will be able to get a nice flat in Manc city centre for £30k in a few years time. One with a nice kitchen extension on it too.
      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        The top will fall but I can’t see average houses changing much while the demand is still there, a surge of BTL's sales might make a difference but then seasoned BTL'ers may well snap them up and stiffen up the market again, I predict a 10% fall maximum.
        And all those who bought at the top at stupid wage multiple who will be unable to get remortgages when their fixed terms run out. All going in the pot, leading to a glut of houses on the market. Bring the noise
        my ferret is your ferret

Comment

To add to that I see the biggest hit are new builds. You know the type built from carboard for 100K sold to some IT contractor for 750K...

Owning a house is one thing, owning a house with history that's something else altogether, that's value that will not be lost easily.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

why would there be a surge of BTL properties on the market? the rental market is looking great as no-one wants to buy, rental yields are on the up and any savvy BTL landlord would hold onto the property until we came out of the period of stagnation we are seeing at the moment.

I put a 3 bed flat in Reading up to rent on Monday at the high end of the market and have had 3 offers on it this week already!

Private sellers on the other hand..........

Comment

Perfect Storm
              1. Hard working Poles are heading home to better pay and conditions
              2. City money will dry up
              3. Era of cheap borrowing has ended
              4. Unemployment will rise
              5. BTL'ers will sell up and cash in leaving a glut of property
              6. Government will build another 70K+ houses adding to the surplus
              7. Cost of borrowing will rise even as interest rates fall
              8. Lending criteria will be so strict many won't even be offered a mortgage
              9. Min deposit will rise to 25%
              10. Cost of living will outstrip wage rises
              11. Vast tax rises will cripple the economy

A good time to buy? I don't think so....

Comment

It'll be fine™
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
                  why would there be a surge of BTL properties on the market? the rental market is looking great as no-one wants to buy, rental yields are on the up and any savvy BTL landlord would hold onto the property until we came out of the period of stagnation we are seeing at the moment.

I put a 3 bed flat in Reading up to rent on Monday at the high end of the market and have had 3 offers on it this week already!

Private sellers on the other hand..........
                  Late comers with big mortgages getting nervous... I know a few! I said the seasoned pro's would most probably calm the ship.

The market needs a bit of a drop to get people moving again, I don’t see it as such a bad thing.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7281608.stm

A blue Mercedes minibus in London is packed full of Polish workers poised for a journey across Europe to a new life in a distant land.

But these are not economic migrants - not now anyway.

These passengers are the casualties of mass migration, and they are going home.

More than 800,000 central and eastern Europeans have registered to work in Britain in recent years, and the unofficial figure is probably much higher.

But when temporary work dried-up, many ended up homeless and on the streets - many by now with drug or alcohol problems.

A recent survey found 18% of London's rough sleepers are now eastern and central Europeans.

Be interesting to see how rents will rise as the UK population starts declining again.

Last one out, switch the lights off.

Comment

Working...
                    X