• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Independant Financial Advisors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    IMHO no need to pay an IFA in this day and age.

Use t'internet to find out what you need and save yourself bags of money.

I totally agree. I used an IFA to initially find me a mortgage provider a couple of years back, but when I learned that he was getting a thousand or so pounds in commission I did my own homework on the internet.

You can get all sorts of free printed performance information and heavy discounts on investments from reputable financial advisers such as Hargreaves Lansdowne. It's well worth doing the 'legwork' yourself IMO, and remember that computerised trackers outperform managed trackers in the vast majority of cases and are much cheaper in commission and annual charges.

Comment

Much better to do the research yourself. Surprisingly, most people have remarkably similar financial needs. Do you really need an IFA to tell you that you need life insurance, an ISA, etc?

Comment

How do IFA's make their money?

- commissions

Some of the commissions they get will be on financial products that serve their own purposes as opposed to the clients they are 'advising'

That being said I talk to mine regularly
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
        X