• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dental Bridge or implants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Dental plate or implants
    I'd go for the girl with the implants every time
    If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Implants if you can face the cost and the pain. I lost a tooth couple of years ago and its noticable when I smile so looked into it alot, bridges need more maintence and the teeth around it ground down, implanets dont need as much maintence last 15 years. To be honest I havent done anything about mine yet as Im just to scared to get the the implanet as would also need a bone graft on the jaw to support the implanet and the location is very close to my sinus, Ive found its cheaper to just accept Im an ugly bastard

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        Ive found its cheaper to just accept Im an ugly bastard

Me too so far.

The other downside to implants is the dentist says cosmetically they may struggle to reproduce a natural gumline between the two implants. They're going to do a wax mock up to show me what it'll probably look like, when they do the bone density analysis to make sure I'd be ok without any additional work such as bone grafts. He said they may be able to re-use the bone extracted from the drilling if need be, by adding a little synthetic bone to it. I certainly don't fancy a bone-graft op if worst happens.

Currently got a temporary two-teeth dental plate in that's a bit whiter than my natural teeth. I think they did that so I'd agree a course of teeth whitening first. One long money extraction exercise I think.

So much for the NHS and free treatment.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Me too so far.

The other downside to implants is the dentist says cosmetically they may struggle to reproduce a natural gumline between the two implants. They're going to do a wax mock up to show me what it'll probably look like, when they do the bone density analysis to make sure I'd be ok without any additional work such as bone grafts. He said they may be able to re-use the bone extracted from the drilling if need be, by adding a little synthetic bone to it. I certainly don't fancy a bone-graft op if worst happens.

Currently got a temporary two-teeth dental plate in that's a bit whiter than my natural teeth. I think they did that so I'd agree a course of teeth whitening first. One long money extraction exercise I think.

So much for the NHS and free treatment.
          When I went to see my dentist about it it came in around £2.5k for one tooth but that included the grafts, £1.9k without grafts. He tried to play down the cost of my work by showing me a quote for someone who was going to have over £30k worth of work oh their teeth Getting implanets abroad isnt worth it as you need to be out there for a week or two for an implanet and thats just going to cost you lost work

Comment

Had two front teeth crowns removed due to the roots becoming infected. So the option I have is either a bridge, where the two healthy teeth either side are used to support it, or self-supporting implants.
            Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and after pulling the tooth (a back one) the dentist immediately filled the hole with a large dollop of goo that tastes like I've been chewing bandages all day. I can still taste the nauseating stuff now, two weeks later.

I don't understand why they can't just get a great big hyperdermic full of powerful antibiotic, jab it through the side of your gums and nuke every last one of the pesky bacteria. The snag is it would probably take you with it, and in any case once the tooth starts wobbling even slightly, more bacteria can slip down the sides. So it's a bit like water seeping through a crack in a dam.

BTW you may not have the option of implants if the infection has affected the bone, as even mild abscesses sometimes do. (Added in edit: I see now that several people, including yourself, have made that point or alluded to it. But I guess no harm is done mentioning it a seventh time.)

I guess your dentist can tell whether an implant is viable, assuming you trust them not to advise the more expensive treatment for their benefit even if it may not work out for you in the longer term.
            Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 March 2008, 21:49.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

http://dentistabroad.co.uk/cheap-den...st-abroad.html

It's considerably cheaper abroad, even with a few days off, seeing a foreign city and sightseeing.

These folks started the trend several years back and seem to know their stuff http://www.kreativdental.co.uk/
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and after pulling the tooth (a back one) the dentist immediately filled the hole with a large dollop of goo that tastes like I've been chewing bandages all day. I can still taste the nauseating stuff now, two weeks later.
                Yeah they packed some of that crap in my holes to kill off the infection. At least that seems to have worked, which is why I'm a bit suspicious how the infection is still on the two surrounding teeth if it's linked. The dentist is obviously claiming it's not linked but what are the chances of that?

All this diagnosis is off a small x-ray that to me looks like the usual light grey and dark grey stuff.

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                BTW you may not have the option of implants if the infection has affected the bone, as even mild abscesses sometimes do. (Added in edit: I see now that several people, including yourself, have made that point or alluded to it. But I guess no harm is done mentioning it a seventh time.)
                Yep that's perhaps why he's being cautious and advising root canal treatment to definately clear up any surrounding infections as implents are more prone to failure and other complications if the area isn't healthy.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  http://dentistabroad.co.uk/cheap-den...st-abroad.html

It's considerably cheaper abroad, even with a few days off, seeing a foreign city and sightseeing.

These folks started the trend several years back and seem to know their stuff http://www.kreativdental.co.uk/

I have done a bit of reading on that option but the occasional horror story is what puts me off. I can't see a dentist over here being too sympathetic and not trying to extract large remedial fees if something goes wrong weeks or months after the implants have been placed.

For the sake of a grand or so difference I'd rather have someone closer at hand be in charge incase of complications.

After being reassured that the procedure might not be as bad as I think, due to me being drugged up to the eyeballs, it's just the cosmetic angle that I'm worried about now. I don't see why they can't do a two-tooth joint implant so the gumline can be faked like they would do with a bridge, to make it look more natural. Something I'll look into further via the net before my next appointment.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I've got a bridge that looks and feels fine and has needed one lot of minor maintenance in 7 or 8 years. The teeth either side weren't exactly A1 when I had it fitted but they don't seem to have suffered and the work on them seemed quite minor if I remember correctly. Implants sounds a bit of a palava and a potential bottomless pit if it doesn't go according to plan. Mixture of rugby and drinking injuries for me.

Comment

I've been going to the dentist every Friday since the start of the year. So far I've had 2 root canals done (that stuff that they put in tastes like tulip so I have to drink a load of beer over the weekend to get rid of it. Even my dentist pointed out that she had probably ruined my weekends with that stuff ) Just finished the second one this morning and then next week they need to build it up so that they can put a crown on it. Then we start on the front for another crown as I've been walking around for the past 18 months with a broken tooth which although makes me look a bit 'piratey' doesn't look to cool it front of customers and clients. Once thats done then a bridge at the back where the wisdom teeth are. I'm getting fed up with this but it'll teach my son to look after his teeth.
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X