• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple users: smug, stupid, or lightyears beyond any PC owner?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use XPSP2 (Mostly office stuff), an iMac (for design s'ware), an Intel MacBook (with Parallels and XP, general use), and Linux based eee (Xandros KDE) daily.

The XP machine is a great workhorse - it rarely breaks down, and when it does, it's usually while I'm trying to open a large Photoshop file with about 15 other applications on the go - so no surprises there.

The iMac has never seized up on me entirely - and I push it to the limit with bitmap tracing and rendering - it only slows right down when properly challenged - so I see it as marginally more reliable for my kind of work.

The intel MacBook has frozen a few times - turned out to be the mobo fan, which is a known issue - they replaced it FOC of course and it's been fine since.

The eee is a right pain in the derrière, and spanners out on me in the most random ways all the time - but that's because I'm messing about with it deliberately and I don't really care if it breaks, I'm learning about Linux OSes and that is the hapless guinea pig I've chosen to help me learn. I understand that the forthcoming Debian environment (alioth.debian.org) will be stable.

Comment

realityhack is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
        I think you'll find that my Vista desktop is totally silent (No fan noise at all), and it doesn't need 64bit to run, I just have a 64bit chip so it would be silly not to use it.

You really do seem to be a bit of a mac fanboy though. I have said nothing against the Mac which seems to be a decent enough machine yet you are desperate to make out that my machine is a pile of crap that barely manages to run and sounds like it is about to fall apart to make your Mac sound better.

I'm sure Mac's are wonderful machines but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista/Linux either (Windows XP was also pretty stable for me)
        I've nadda wrong with the machine just the OS that's on it. Perhaps I lost my direction in my last post, and did not mean to cause offence. The point I was trying to make is I'm very encouraged by the open source community on which OS X was built on. I think if Mac made as near as much money as MS did on software they might find a lot more uncouth types looking for vulnerabilities to be taken advantage of. I'm not a fanboy to be sure I just like it that OS X is a simpler system than XP, I like the speed at which I can complete my work and deliver without interruption. That is worth shouting about.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
          Are you sure? My MacBook Pro has one button and the new one I have ordered onloy has one I think. My MacBook only had one...
          Ok,

Macs that ship with a mouse, ship with a single button mouse that recognises the capacitance of your finger to determine whether you want a left or right click.

Macs that ship with a touchpad ship, with a clever touchpad that recognises when you've got two fingers on the pad. Clicking with two fingers on the pad gives you a right click.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Ok,

Macs that ship with a mouse, ship with a single button mouse that recognises the capacitance of your finger to determine whether you want a left or right click.

Macs that ship with a touchpad ship, with a clever touchpad that recognises when you've got two fingers on the pad. Clicking with two fingers on the pad gives you a right click.
            Well if you want to get technical between buttons there's actually 4 switches under the one solid cover. Left & right, squeeze, and the nipple of course for scroll. I heard this via the grapevine that it was not possible to use the scroll on the pc mouse in the horizontal direction as well as the vertical direction, say it ain't so?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I heard this via the grapevine that it was not possible to use the scroll on the pc mouse in the horizontal direction as well as the vertical direction, say it ain't so?
              You mean at the same time?
              Mine does horizontal and vertical scrolling and seems to do both at the same time if you want
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Mine does horizontal and vertical scrolling and seems to do both at the same time if you want
                no way

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  no way
                  way

time for you to upgrade to windows
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

So does my wife's.

Comment

way

time for you to upgrade to windows
                      Been living in darkness these last 3 years or so, time to upgrade.

Which flavour should I go for Vista Business, Home, pro, school, prep, XP, PX, chocolate, mint?

Comment

Working...
                      X