• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consular Fees deducted from Personal Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why should they be? If NHS "prescription charges" are not deducable then why should be that?
    Yes, they are! you see the market price of the same meds in the US - NHS prescription charges are massively subsidised!

what is it £6.60? for anything? woohee! I bought some Nasonex here - $88 - 45 quid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishface View Post
      NHS prescription charges are massively subsidised!
      But are those charges zero? No. You have to pay them even though you paid tax, and when you pay them you don't get your tax back. Same with great many other things, so don't whine about consular charges - if you don't feel the service at that price is not needed to you then don't pay money, and if you think the service is more valuable to you then the money charged, then pay money and be grateful you got a good deal - and for Gods sake don't be like Wilmslow

Comment

But are those charges zero? No. You have to pay them even though you paid tax, and when you pay them you don't get your tax back. Same with great many other things, so don't whine about consular charges - if you don't feel the service at that price is not needed to you then don't pay money, and if you think the service is more valuable to you then the money charged, then pay money and be grateful you got a good deal - and for Gods sake don't be like Wilmslow
        Blimey, who tugged your chain today, AtW? Chill out man.

Comment

What is 'Wilmslow'? lost me there.

I am not 'whining' about prescription charges - you should be thankful for the great deal you get there with your tax £'s.

I don't get the same benefits shown by the UK.

Comment

What is 'Wilmslow'? lost me there.

I am not 'whining' about prescription charges - you should be thankful for the great deal you get there with your tax £'s.

I don't get the same benefits shown by the UK.
            Why should you, you don't live there. UK taxation is (occasionally!) used to provide services to UK residents in the UK, not to provide a worldwide social support network.

Comment

I never had to use prescriptions (though I paid plenty of tax), and the only time I used NHS has lead me to conclusion that I regret very much doing so.

Comment

I never had to use prescriptions (though I paid plenty of tax), and the only time I used NHS has lead me to conclusion that I regret very much doing so.
                In Soviet Russia we leave our comrades to die in the street!

AtW

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  In Soviet Russia we leave our comrades to die in the street!
                  USSR had a very good health system - I know since I was ill a lot at some point with my astma and had to visit doctors so often they knew me in the face - THAT was rare in USSR, but overall doctors were good, I think they all had military ranks because in the event of war they would be military doctors

Comment

USSR had a very good health system - I know since I was ill a lot at some point with my astma and had to visit doctors so often they knew me in the face - THAT was rare in USSR, but overall doctors were good, I think they all had military ranks because in the event of war they would be military doctors

So they knew nothing about colds but were able to patch you up from the 3 AK-47 rounds you took in the riot at the bread queue.
                    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby68 View Post
                      So they knew nothing about colds but were able to patch you up from the 3 AK-47 rounds you took in the riot at the bread queue.
                      Weapons were pretty strictly controlled in USSR - even police did not have them most of the time, and the army was not getting much of them either - the Govt was afraid of armed people even if they worked for them.

Having all doctors with military rank is just one of the idiotic things in a communist system - for example all off-road capable cars had to be put on special register in police because in case of war the state would confiscate them for the army, I think same went for the trucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X