• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

urgent help guys pimp possibly trying to screw me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont Panic

People will use any excuse , including the credit crunch to reduce rates to you .

Sombody somewhere along the line will be making a few more quid , and its up to you if you can negotiate more. Go back and ask for more , if they say no and you really need the job for financial reasons then take it and look for something better.

Most contractors wont take a job at low rates , they will look for something better , but in a depressed market being unemployed for 3 months can cost you a lot , even at 200 per day.

Your choice in the end. Thats why your in the risky contractors market
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Absolutly true. I've had an agent practically begging me to talk to his client but the location and rate was a bit low. I basically said I need silly money to counter the bad location (bad for me). Bit of a poker bluff and they didn't go high enough.. So I walked...

Who says the market is depressed?????

Comment

hi guys thanks for the quick responses, yeah turns out this agent was cool and stuck with the agreed rate, he in fact said he doesnt care about the rate, you get what you get and we laughed about this other role i was offered today where the agent was trying to screw me out of a few pound an hour, sorry about causing a flux of issue's.

thanks again.
        I know 260 a day is not so much to you guyz but i am hoping this contract lasts a while atleast a year and i can improve my skills, i can then perhaps dream about 300-450 a day that would be sweet. hehe

Im currently with a parasol It maybe now its worth going ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
          hi guys thanks for the quick responses, yeah turns out this agent was cool and stuck with the agreed rate, he in fact said he doesnt care about the rate, you get what you get and we laughed about this other role i was offered today where the agent was trying to screw me out of a few pound an hour, sorry about causing a flux of issue's.

thanks again.
          I know 260 a day is not so much to you guyz but i am hoping this contract lasts a while atleast a year and i can improve my skills, i can then perhaps dream about 300-450 a day that would be sweet. hehe

Im currently with a parasol It maybe now its worth going ltd.
          Congrats!

Now set up a Ltd.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

'I know 260 a day is not so much to you guyz ',

trisko,

get it while you can, come the recession this bunch of big mouthed snobs moi aussi will be begging for 260 quid a day rather than being benched.

Good on yer cock.

Milan.

Comment

It may not be a lot, but it's a heck of a jump up from the £17.40 ph you were on before on the service desk/desktop support - and with no qualifications too. I'd get away from Parasol and set up your own ltd asap, with this new contract. Only takes a day or so - just do it, you know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                'I know 260 a day is not so much to you guyz ',

trisko,

get it while you can, come the recession this bunch of big mouthed snobs moi aussi will be begging for 260 quid a day rather than being benched.

Good on yer noddy.

Milan.
                Come the recession are you going to sell that Volvo and go back to the passat?

Comment

yes i got no mcse's , in fact i have had interviews where they wanted me over candidates who had third line experiance even though i said i had nowt, yes that right, in fact i got an interview with managed networks they dont interview anyone without a mcse and i managed to get a interview there, albeit had no intention of going as a permie.

I had job offers galore but luckily I had the sense to stick with contracting where the real money is, i just feel these permie roles albeit offered me a path into third line were not so appealing come pay day.

I do consider myself luckee i have now doubled my wage almost as a contractor, hopefully i wil do some minor project work too for them and i will start to learn more at home.

Yes its time to go Ltd hehe!

Was funny though this other agent asking me to work at his place was saying its a big mistake missing out since they offer training and opportunites which is total nonsense, they were hiring contractors to cover the service desk whilst developing the permie's, forget that i thought. He asked me where i got a job i made it up as I knew he would try to offer his services to them to undercut the current contracters where I should be working in a few days.

Agent's = scum

Comment

< Broadsword calling Danny Boy....Request Spelling & Grammar Carpet Bombing Strike on above location>
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

trisko,

good for you

oracle in the end I didn't buy the secondhand volvo, got a shiny new nissan instead, still got the passat too

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X