• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Mobile Contractor's lodging lifestyle/options.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Because there aren't any people in the police force or the army that know anything about IT......

Oh and we are all obviously switchers as well.....

Muppet

The Muppet was questioning my professionalism. I needed to defend.

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
      I am native IT and it has been my profession for a deacade after being my hobby. I am not one of those switchers that were in Police or Army or gardening and did It for 3 years.

You are a serious plonker and no mistake. Bet you're not real. Ok own up you lot, who created him?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

You are a serious plonker and no mistake. Bet you're not real. Ok own up you lot, who created him?
        Lets see GNVQ (Generally Not Very Qualified) in IT finished when he was 18 and then 10 years in the industry making him 28~. Still believes that a "cool chick magnet" like an A3 will get him laid, no house (so probably living with parents) and totally out of touch with reality.... Oh yes and an inferiority complex when presented with men from the Army or the Police Force (obviously because they get all the underwear models....)

I think you're right, he's not real. Good Job whoever came up with this one.

Comment

I am native IT and it has been my profession for a deacade after being my hobby. I am not one of those switchers that were in Police or Army or gardening and did It for 3 years.

One of your hobbies you mean, you sad geeky little rocket polisher.
          You forgot to mention your trainspotting fetish.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Buy a caravan!

HTH

Comment

I’d appreciate the fellow community’s insights on the options a contractor can lodge themselves. I tend to change every 3 /6 months contracts ( I get pissed off ) meaning I change the place I live in regularly. Not having permanent residence this means changing the place I rent.

Problem:

Gumtree.com , rightmove.co.uk are full of nice studios going about 800 / month . The problem is they ask you for a 6 month contract and 1 month leave notice ( you all filthy Landlords know that ) . So if you are in a 3 months contract ( orr get sacked) , at the contract end you pack your backs and lose potentially 1500 GBP. ( deposit for the studio plus some rent residue ) .

I have lost a solid amount in deposits /rent residues due to this.

So what to do ?

Solution 1:
              If you mange to find someone to replace you in the studio you are leaving behind , you lose nothing. But this has proven very hard ! Impossible.

Solution 2:

I have seen hotels/bedsits advertised on the internet for about 33 pounds , but in reality I have never encountered one. 33 Pounds works out about 1000 pounds /month which is quite acceptable. If you will be losing up to 1500 in deposit/residue then going in a hotel can save you money. 40GBP + hotels seems too of a waste for long-term stay – months.

Solution 3:
              There are some deserted villages ( like the one I am in ) where the Landlords are so desperate they will agree on a rolling contract* with 2 weeks leave notice. ( problem is most underwear models sign you off immediately )

Solution 4:
              My longterm/wannabe solution seems to be – getting 4 – 5 BTL studios at key places in the UK. ( close to all motorways ) . Rent them all out. When a contract comes up , give the closest tenant 1 month notice to get out. ( Yes I am that bad ). During the first month spend circa 2 K in a hotel.

* I have invented the renting term “rolling contract” where you ask the landlord to stay as long as you need but have to give them 2 weeks leave notice. In reality this meant for me – losing the 2 weeks rent since I would leave a place immediately after I have secured a new contract.
              This is slaughter of the English language at it's most heinous. Have you dropped a Travel Scrabble (tm) set on the floor and just copied the random layout of the letters, hoping that they made an understandable sentence???

You are an Armenian window cleaner, and I claim my £5.
              If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Solution 5:
                Just move to London, possibly in an area very well connected to most, like Clapham Junction for example, where you have a near 100% chance to find one contract after the other.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Many women would go weak at the knees to know a man with an Audi a3 is in the area. Free lodgings and lashings of how's your father should be on offer I shouldn't wonder.
                  Lick my Chutney Lollipop

Comment

I use a motorhome.....£50 a week

Comment

You really haven't got to grips with this buy to let lark have you .....

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy at inception must start with a minimum 6 month term, and you cannot remove the tenant during this period, unless there are grounds for it. (I think you need to issue a Section 25 notice).

Regardless, you will have to get a court order to evict within the first 6 months (any anytime thereafter, if the tenant is unwilling to comply with posession).

A while since I did it, but the last tenant I had moved out because of ill health --- her boyfriend almost killed her while the rozzers were busy kicking the back door in.

Would have been mildly amusing, if it werent for the fact it was my property .......

Comment

Working...
                      X