• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How our government solves problems: more tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swamp View Post
    That's where you went wrong.

Oh, and Tesco
    Tescoes, Sainzbries, Wait-trose (is how they're normally pronounced).

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      Yesterday, I was in Tescos supermarket queue (a guaranteed high sensitivity zone for me) and the person being served in front of me was faffing around with god knows how many coupons and vouchers which needed to be individually scanned in...
      He he! Come on now Denny, this is an elaborate troll, isn't it?

Surely you meant for everyone to get worked up and comment on what a selfish, stuck-up, self-opinionated fool you are.

You certainly had me going for a minute

But really, to imagine that our own Denny was so up her(?) own arse that she would get nasty and uppity because some poor prole with coupons got in the way of her express-checkin/checkout lifestyle was stretching credibility a bit far!

Ha ha! Good one!

Here's a tip for you Denny...

Never get behind the Devil in the queue at the Post Office, for the Devil takes many forms!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Oh dear Denny.

I'm terribly sorry someone ahead of you took longer to do their shopping / payment than you were willing to wait.

Personally, had I been in the same situation, I'd have just swapped queues.

I wouldn't have asked "how long do you think this is going to take", since the question could be construed as being pushy, overbearing and disrespectful.

Knowing that the question, however well-intentioned could be taken badly, I'd have said nothing and either changed queues or rearranged my shopping on the escalator platform. (Heavies at the front, breakables at the back)
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

If we are going to have a smoking licence then why not an alcohol licence ?

It would make sense.

Fair in the sense that all the drinkers who don't smoke and yet villify smokers get their turn with the naughty stick, and can be villified instead.

It's only fair
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
            If we are going to have a smoking licence then why not an alcohol licence ?
            Would that be a licence to buy or to consume alcohol? If it’s only on the buy side then it will open a whole new set of excuses for not standing your round.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              Oh dear Denny.

I wouldn't have asked "how long do you think this is going to take", since the question could be construed as being pushy, overbearing and disrespectful.
              As a customer I don't think it is up to any cashier to interpret it any way they choose. It's their job to answer simple questions and give informative answers, irrespective of what they think about the motives behind them. Not act according to any moral judgements they may have about my intentions, which was never articulated to them anyway. Who the hell do they think they are?

I wasn't rude anyway. I just asked a simple question. Any decent customer and cashier would have realised that I wouldn't want to be held up needlessly if it could be avoided and answered my question reasonably and sensibly. If I had been that customer I would have turned to a 'me' waiting next in line and said 'sorry I don't mean to take so long' and the cashier 'this won't take a minute, or this will take another few minutes perhaps it would be better to use another till if you're in a hurry.' Not painful is it? After all, I've done that heaps of times to others waiting to be served, and I heard others say similar those in front of me too, when they've been faffing around with vouchers and coupons or can't find their credit card or need to go back and get another item or whatever the hold up might be. So, in this instance, I don't see why anyone could reasonably justify denying me or anyone else the same courtesy that comes naturally to others with some manners and consideration.

I rang Tesco today, and lodged my complaint. Apparently, the customer services manager wanted to know what time I was served and took a description of the cashier. She told me she would be dealt with accordingly. So, it appears the customer services manager could see my point of view as well.
              Last edited by Denny; 16 February 2008, 21:07.

Comment

I rang Tesco today, and lodged my complaint. Apparently, the customer services manager wanted to know what time I was served and took a description of the cashier. She told me she would be dealt with accordingly. So, it appears the customer services manager could see my point of view as well.
                I've worked out the only way to survive on the Tesco's shop floor is to be as rude to customers as you can get away without getting the sack. Then if you buy stuff from them online they either pretend they can't find your address, so miss your delivery slot squash things that normally can't be squashed i.e. cans or drop everything in front of you.

Now in Sainsbury's the other day I was stuck behind two pensioner lots of people.

The first pensioner being served had to pack all her shopping at a speed 10 times slower than the cashier scanned it. Then she had to hunt for her purse. The find all the vouchers in her handbag rip them out and give them to the cashier before taking the money out of her purse. Then she had to check her receipt and put the change in her purse before moving on.

The next couple of pensioners where amazing. They had this efficient system of packing so they were going at the speed faster than the cashier and had their cards ready when they had finished. I was in such shock my mouth was wide open.

The cashier then apologised to me for taking a long time to serve me.

Oh and Sainsbury's Online delivery blokes are polite. Just like the Ocado ones. However Ocado food keeps longer.

Anyway -
                Nu Labour Nu Taxes
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I would have been tempted to grab all the vouchers out of their hand, give them a tenner and say "now for **** sake just get on with it you tight git".

Comment

Originally posted by scaramanga View Post
                    I would have been tempted to grab all the vouchers out of their hand, give them a tenner and say "now for **** sake just get on with it you tight git".

I wouldn't have minded if it had only been one or two coupons, but it was several strips of them.

It would have cost more than a tenner.

Comment

Did I get this type of answer? No.
                      If you're going to get angry at everyone you come across who doesn't meet the standards of behaviour you expect you are going to spend most of your waking hours angry. In reacting by phoning and complaining you are inconveniencing no-one but yourself. The ratio of idiot to non-idiot is increasing in the uk by the minute, just shrug and move on. Life's too short.

Comment

Working...
                      X