• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This makes me sick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other countries have a higher percentage of gun ownership per capita than the US, but have a significantly lower incidence of gun crime.

Canada, I think, and possibly somewhere like Sweden, IIRC.

I remember someone shooting up a shopping mall near us when I lived in Pennsylvania. The shop that sold him the M16 said that they had taken appropriate steps to ensure that he was of sound mind before selling the gun.

They produced the questionnaire that all gun purchasers had to complete, where it clearly showed that he had ticked the box marked "No" to the question "Are you mentally ill?"
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

They produced the questionnaire that all gun purchasers had to complete, where it clearly showed that he had ticked the box marked "No" to the question "Are you mentally ill?"
      They've updated it now IIRC - it now has a question after that one that says

"Are you sure?"
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Bullet control is a better form of action than gun control.

Make the cost of bullets $5000 a time and they wouldn't do it. Gun lobby defence is that they have "the right to bear arms" as it's in the Constitution (or Bill of Rights - I forget which).

Getting annoyed with someone to the extent that you want to kill them takes on a whole different aspect if you need to go and get a second job / take out a bank loan to pay for it! Random mass killings - at $50000 a time they wouldn't.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          They've updated it now IIRC - it now has a question after that one that says

"Are you sure?"
          Just to make doubly sure, the final question asks "Are you a fish?"
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            With regards to the access bit I guess if you have made your mind up this is the route you are going to go down you would probably be resourceful enough to get hold of one somehow anyway.
            Not sure about that. I don't know where I'd start if I wanted to get my hands on a gun, at the same time not wanting to risk getting my collar felt. As soon as you go to an unknown contact you risk falling into a trap.

I suppose the internet would enlighten me though!
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Not sure about that. I don't know where I'd start if I wanted to get my hands on a gun, at the same time not wanting to risk getting my collar felt. As soon as you go to an unknown contact you risk falling into a trap.

Just ask any kid waiting at a bus stop in Brixton. Quite a high risk strategy though.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The argument here is...

Licenced and controlled guns vs unlicenced and random ownership of them.
                The risk assessment is same as has been for/against arming the police for the last 10 years or so, namely increase of deaths and violence. Actually the opposite is true, hence more and more police carry them these days. What is wrong with a responsible citizen carrying a gun? He can use it as a means to defend himself from attack and thereby save police and prison time and resources. Secondly he can practise his shooting in a controlled environment which could also be used by some of the thugs to let off steam and aggression (Norman Tebbit suggestion). Thirdly it acts as a strong deterrant (same as the police carrying one). I can't see anything wrong with any of the above, but I expect some of you might.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Quick search revealed the following:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n12745417

"1 hour is the time it takes to convert a Brocock ME28 Magnum air pistol into a lethal weapon that fires bullets"
                  Last edited by oracleslave; 15 February 2008, 11:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
                    Licenced and controlled guns vs unlicenced and random ownership of them.
                    The risk assessment is same as has been for/against arming the police for the last 10 years or so, namely increase of deaths and violence. Actually the opposite is true, hence more and more police carry them these days. What is wrong with a responsible citizen carrying a gun? He can use it as a means to defend himself from attack and thereby save police and prison time and resources. Secondly he can practise his shooting in a controlled environment which could also be used by some of the thugs to let off steam and aggression (Norman Tebbit suggestion). Thirdly it acts as a strong deterrant (same as the police carrying one). I can't see anything wrong with any of the above, but I expect some of you might.
                    Because they don't leave them in a safe place, get robbed and then the number of illegal handguns on the streets increases.

Not sure I'd want my grandad carrying a loaded gun around with him - no idea who he could take out with it. He's a responsible citizen so would he be allowed one? If not, why not? Where do you draw the line as to who can have them and who can't?

Most people don't have the instinct to shoot someone at point blank range anyway, so would it act as a deterrent? Probably not. It doesn't seem to work in America, after all.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      Quick search revealed tge following:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...1/ai_n12745417

"1 hour is the time it takes to convert a Bronoddy ME28 Magnum air pistol into a lethal weapon that fires bullets"
                      the
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X