• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these 60 hour workers have a life? I mean what kind of family life must they be experiencing if all they want to do is stay in their male dominated office? Must be pretty damn awful. No friends either I bet.
    It always amuses me when people use long hours as some sort of badge of honour. It is quite sad and apthetic really.

And I would tell your manager that you have to leave on time, and if he doesnt like it.. move on. Life is to short.

Comment

As a contract PM I'm paid by the day, and I don't expect any of the people working for me to routinely do those kind of hours.

If you feel that is the way forward, go work for a big consultancy, they'll work you til you drop and go get another one when you've become a sad drunken divorcee with no friends

Every so often you might have to do a longer day or five, but not for face time. Here to deliver the deliverables

Work to live, don't live to work

Comment

I never understand why people equate hours with work. It's not unrealistic for a good developer to do something in an hour that a lesser developer who didn't understand what he was doing would take a week over, and then deliver something that was flakey and needed more work down the line. Who would you rather have working for you?

I changed from an hourly to a daily rate on my last extension; partly because I hate the clock watching that goes with being paid hourly, and also because I hate the way an hourly rate effectively penalises you for working hard and being good at what you do.

Unfortunately the full time culture is engrained, and I still find myself hanging around at the end of the day when I know I'm not going to get anything useful done, just because I don't want the client thinking I'm not pulling my weight.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
        X