• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky Broadband

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    What makes you think that?
    Just noticed the avatar. Coffee, keyboard etc

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Should be around 3 Mbits, I will probably increase that - my ADSL 2 provider allows for doubling of upstream from 1.3 Mbit with some loss of downstream.
      So whats that in "real boys" language (mbytes, not this p1ssy bits stuff!).

100k?

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Does anybody use it/have it? I'm thinking of switching to their 16mb service and wondered how good they are.
        I got the Sky broadband package as soon they launched and originally started on 16mb, which I thought would be great as approx 500m from my nearest exchange. However I was only getting speeds of 8mb, so I downgraded to the £5 per month package for 8mb, which then went down to about 5.7mb! However I have only ever had no connection once and am getting max speeds on my current package so can't grumble. Although the e-mail and other offerings didn't work, but I don't use them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
          However I was only getting speeds of 8mb, so I downgraded to the £5 per month package for 8mb, which then went down to about 5.7mb!
          That 8 Mbit package was probably ADSL 1, rather than 2 (which is required for 16 Mbits), which is why you got less than 8 Mbits max for ASDL 1 just like noone gets 24 Mbits max for ADSL 2.

Comment

Why is your bushy tailed rat so dark - do you not have any better pictures?
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Have you not got any better ones?
              Last edited by BoredBloke; 6 February 2008, 17:46.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Hi,

Had Sky Broadband for about a year now. I'm on the limit in terms of distance from the exchange, so speeds are modest but no worse than my previous provider, Eclipse.

Only one small period of down time due to an exchange problem, other than that it works just fine.

Given that Eclipse were charging me nearly £30pm and Sky charge me £5pm as part of the TV, Phone and BB deal, I feel that I'm well on the right side of a good deal here.

Regards,

Kevlong

Comment

I have Sky broadband, 2Mb service which is free with my subscription. I don't use it to download entertainment (that's what TV aerials/satellite dishes/DVD rental services are for) so it does everything I want, as fast as I want, for free.

(I used to have 8Mb with my previous provider, but for my usage 2Mb is no worse.)
                  Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 7 February 2008, 09:51.

Comment

been with Sky for just over a year. No outages to mention.

I was signed up for the 8mb deal but only getting 1.5. I have a contact at Sky and had my line 'retrained' and now i get 4.5mb (BT says the max i can get based on distance is 5.5).

Apparently, Sky does not monitor traffic (so they don't slow down your speed for torrents for example) and even though they have maximum download limits - they don't enforce them.

R

Comment

Ages ago my ISP tried to put me on their 2mbps line - it didn't work. The line dropped every few minutes. Have things changed much or is 1mbps still the max I can expect out of my phoneline.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X