• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why don't they simply charge per bin bag ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Ireland you have to buy a tag for your bin.... if there is no tag, the bin men won't pick it up...
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
      In Ireland you have to buy a tag for your bin.... if there is no tag, the bin men won't pick it up...
      And depending where you are, tags for bins containing recycled material are significantly cheaper than 'grey' bins for landfill.

Furthermore there are no property taxes in Ireland (like Council Tax) only property transaction taxes (stamp duty).

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        True, but nobody ever bought tags from a legitimate source around where I was living. You just slipped the bin lorry driver 20 euros for a handful of tags. Of course it wasn't long before the service was being bemoaned as being uneconomical. That's not mentioning the tag thieves as well...
        Me, me, me...

Comment

I've just moved from Oxfordshire to Berkshire. In Oxfordshire the weekly recycling collection picks up most things apart from glass. I recycled probably about 90% of all my waste.

In Berkshire, they don't recycle cardboard and plastic. These are the two main materials for any packaging. The result is, I am now recycling about 20% of all my waste.

My point is, if the service is there, people WILL use it. Provide the service, don't penalise the public...

Fecking councils!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

What you are forgetting is that the government is fudging the issue by saying...

Either pay extra to have your rubbish removed or pay the fine...

Now, let's introduce a little competition here...

Why not set up a company that collects household waste...

Churchill - In "I R brilliant!" mode...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              What you are forgetting is that the government is fudging the issue by saying...

Either pay extra to have your rubbish removed or pay the fine...

Now, let's introduce a little competition here...

Why not set up a company that collects household waste...

Churchill - In "I R brilliant!" mode...

There you go Churchill - your plan 'B' obviously!!!
              It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Working...
              X