• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Food Prices around Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francko View Post
    I am also quite confident that the average salary of a CZ worker is higher than Milan's.

Francko, you da man!
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
      I am also quite confident that the average salary of a CZ worker is higher than Milan's.
      What is the price of Macdonalds in CZ? Anyone noticed that the value of the polish currency has risen by 20% in the last four months? Poles will be going home to earn more money, UK contractors will have another market to ply their trade, more jobs in the UK and DA in the middle cleaning up
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        Spartacus,

please allow me to try to ignite the entrepeneurial flame inside you,

is spuds cost in the shops 60p for 2.5kg in CZ and 2,18GBP for the same in the UK, doesn't it make you wonder why there is such a difference ? And the difference may be an opportunity

using your line of thinking, petrol/diesel should be cheaper in CZ than for example Germany, but it's not, it's the same price per litre.

could it be that the supermarkets have monopolised food retail and have free reign over their pricing in the island market place of the UK ?

Milan.
        No, it's because earnings are higher in the UK. Last time I checked, the UK wasn't levying potato duty, unlike with fuel as in your example.
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

DA,

same rise in the CZK against the GBP in the same time period

boomed

Milan.

Comment

DA,

same rise in the CZK against the GBP in the same time period

boomed

Milan.
            Is that the same for all Eastern European currencies milan? including the Bulgarian and Romanian Grommit?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

then Spartacus, may I call you Sparky ?

isn't there an opportunity here, for a plan b,

to buy spuds in CZ straight from the farms and transport them to the UK (about 1000 miles) and sell them at the fruit and veg wholesale markets or straight into the big retailers ?

and if that's the case, don't you wonder that if the big supermarkets can buy spuds at say 45p a kilo in CZ and sell them in the UK for 218p a kilo, isn't that a huge markup ?

which is tolerated by UK consumers like Sparky, because, it's that way, because, because we earn more here don't we, so we should pay more

Milan.

Comment

DA,

dunno sorry.

But I would assume so.

The pound has fallen massively in the last six months against the CZK and as you said the PLZ and as we all know against the Euro so I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same against other CEE currencies.

Milan.

Comment

DA,

dunno sorry.

But I would assume so.

The pound has fallen massively in the last six months against the CZK and as you said the PLZ and as we all know against the Euro so I see no reason why it shouldn't be the same against other CEE currencies.

Milan.
                  The pound and dollar have both fallen against just about every other currency over the last 6-12 months.
                  Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

dollar is gaining on the pound now

Milan.

Comment

dollar is gaining on the pound now

Milan.
                      The pound is just falling faster than the dollar
                      Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                      X